Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:34 PM   #1

I know there are several recent post on focusing problems with the XTI, but I still can't seem to be able to find my problem. The following picture was taken on full auto mode and it is blurry/out of focus. The aperature is F/11 and the shutter speed is 1/400s. I feel like this picture should be much sharper. I was quite careful to take it braced with as little movement possible, though I did not use a tripod. A tripod shouldn't be necessary at a shutter speed of 1/400. I tried various combinations of manual settings to see if I could make an image that was sharper, but no luck. I compared this with some of Steve's sample images for the XTI and they are much sharper. Are these results due to a possible flaw in my camera, or is the lens not very good, or am I just missing something?

Attached Images

Illuvatar111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:13 PM   #2

Hmmm...I thought your pictures were sharp enough

But out of interest, which lens did you use?
jaykobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:46 PM   #3

I used the one that came with the camera kit. 18-55mm. I still think the picture should be sharper, sharp enough to read the license plate on the car. In Steve's XTI sample photos, for instance, the first one of the boats at the dock, you can read the name on the back of the boat. I think I am standing about as far away from the car as he is from the boat, but you can't resolve the numbers when you zoom in on the plate, and you can read the name of the boat. Maybe, for some reason I am overlooking, this isn't a good comparison.

Thanks for the comment!

Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:26 AM   #4

I'm no expert on this topic since I started the thread about the aperture/focus thing, but if reading the number plate is your concern, then maybe you should use direct the autofocus points on the number plate and then recompose and take your shot.

It'd still be pretty hard though at the zoom/magnification setting you're using, maybe zoom in a tad more to see the numbers more clearly? I was just focusing on the branches/leaves and they look pretty sharp to me
jaykobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 3:38 AM   #5
Super Moderator

It's hard to tell and at this size it looks perfectly fine to me.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Can you post a 100% crop of a couple of different areas say the car, tree, window? This will help to see the differences. At f11 it should all be pretty sharp as you are roughly at the lenses strongest aperture and the is giving a huge dof down to just in front of the camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 6:40 AM   #6

Illuvatar111 wrote:
Quote:
In Steve's XTI sample photos, for instance, the first one of the boats at the dock, you can read the name on the back of the boat. I think I am standing about as far away from the car as he is from the boat,
I'm not sure I understand your comparision.

Name on boat - if it's theh picture I just looked at you'are talking about a name that's about 5 feet wide. Vs. about 10" of license plate. Not the same thing at all.

In all honesty the sharpness of your photo looks fine - I think your expectation is a bit unrealistic.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 6:47 AM   #7
Super Moderator

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Illuvatar111 wrote:
Quote:
In Steve's XTI sample photos, for instance, the first one of the boats at the dock, you can read the name on the back of the boat. I think I am standing about as far away from the car as he is from the boat,
I'm not sure I understand your comparision.

Name on boat - if it's theh picture I just looked at you'are talking about a name that's about 5 feet wide. Vs. about 10" of license plate. Not the same thing at all.

In all honesty the sharpness of your photo looks fine - I think your expectation is a bit unrealistic.
Very good point John, I've just re-sized and done a comparison and the name on the boat is about 2.5 times larger than the number plate (number of pixels used is how I measured it). That being the case then yes it is unlikely to get a good result.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:44 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Good point John, I hadn't thought about the boat letters being so much bigger and that would make a big difference. Maybe I do have unrealistic expectations. I compared the power lines in my shot to the lines on the masts of the ships and things look about the same.

Attached are some 100% crops of the original that Mark asked for. How does this look? At 100% should this be sharper?

I am going to go out today and try to take some shots on a tripod, and also direct the focus on various things to see if it makes any difference. Something about the picture still just looks wrong to me, for some reason when I look at it I think it is blurry.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.
Attached Images

Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Super Moderator

What ISO was this shot at as there seems to be some noise which would reduce quality a little?

I've applied some Unsharp Mask which has helped, what settings are you using for in camera sharpening?

Attached Images

Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:35 PM   #10

I think the crop looks right on the money for the kit lens. I don't think you have any problems camera or lens wise. You could play around with the aperture setting, on my kit lens f8 seems to be the sharpest one to use.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote