Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1

I have had my Digital Rebel (300D) for almost three years now with just over 3,000 images on it, mostly of my 2.5 year old daughter. The other night I had been taking some images of the setting sun, probably before I should have. The images turned out quite well. A few nights later we took a hike. I shot probably 100 images of my wife and daughter, some really good ones I imagine. Unfortunately, when viewing the images those 100 or so showed up as one "corrupt" image, with the question mark graphic. Images that night before and after turned out fine. I have taken a few hundred shots since then with no issues. I have reformatted the card, in the camera. Any thoughts on what might have been or is currently wrong? I have taken similar landscape photos with the setting sun, without any issues. I don't know if the two are linked or if the corrupt error was just an anomoly I shouldn't worry about.

Not that I wouldn't mind upgrading to the XTi, my wife might not be real thrilled.

Thank you!
johnacarlson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:00 PM   #2

Hi,

I am not a photo expert but do know a little something about data transfers and corruption as it has happened to me on a PC several times. If you ever look at a picture the way a PC does, it will all be text, depending on the image, pages and pages of text. As a simple example, there are certain characters in the text that tell the image to stop after oh say 1024 pixels and restart on the other side of the page at pixel 0, line 2. Sort of like a guideline on how to display the image. If this data is not there, then the software that tries to read the data will not be able to decipher the image at all and return an error message like the one your getting.

This is my guess. Where you taking multiple photos, in sequence, or using the dust delete option when this happened?
McBain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:44 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply.

The images were in succession, maybe one every five seconds on average. The thing is there was absolutely nothing, no sign of the images having even been taken. There were just two "corrupt" images that came in sequence when viewing on the camera. I put the CF card directly into the computer to look for the files. Unfortunately, the "good" images that were there went in sequence and the "corrupt" message must have only been displayed on the camera as there was no sign on the computer. There also weren't any unusual files floating around on the CF card.
johnacarlson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:54 PM   #4

Have you tried a different CF card? Do you still get the same file corruption?
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote