Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1

hye there..

I am a newbie to dSLR. Own a EOS 400D /XTi

I'm want to upgrade from the kit lens to another general purpose lens and there are a few people recommending the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

Does anybody own one of this lenses. Can anybody with more knowledge than me advice me on this (or maybe have a better suggestion) - lens is kind of expensive at the moment for a beginner like me.

*I normally shoot people/ kids/ sometimes landscapes and close ups -hence the need for a general purpose lens

As always price is a major factor for beginners like me so if anybody can recommend a similar type / range from Sigma or Tamron (in my country it's hard to get other brands other than Canon / Sigma / Tamron).

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2007, 5:14 AM   #2

The Canon 28-135 IS lens is a good compromise lens. I have had excellent results with this lens. It is not as sharp as an L lense and it would be nice if the wide angle were wider, but for the type of shots you described, I think this would be a good choice. The IS feature is a big help for me as I have trouble in keeping the camera steady at slower shutter speeds.
harryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 1:18 PM   #3

hye..

Thanks Harryp for your comments on my question.

Other than this lens.. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Maybe you guys can recommend me another lens?

Anything from Sigma / Tamron of almost equivelent range (maybe better) with roughly the same price (better lest)

Hope to have more suggestions.

Thanks again
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:17 PM   #4

If 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is expensive for you atm, have a look at smaller, lighter and much less expensive Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II lens, for people photography on a budget it's a great lens. The IQ is decent, the AF is fast and precise, no IS though :sad:, but you can't beat the price. Have this lens for about 6 months and quite happy with the results. The focal range is great for candid photos, although it's not wide enough sometimes for indoor use.
Don't have any personal experience with comparable Sigma or Tamron lenses.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 7:04 PM   #5

Hazmy,

I am pretty much a newbie to DSLR photography just like yourself and I just purchased the 28-105mm USM lens. After doing a bit of reading here and other photogrpahy websites, I decided that IS will be something I will purchase for my third or fourth lens, not my first aside from the kit lens. While IS seems to have an edge over non IS lenses, it just doesnt seem to be within my budget so early on (I am a college student, money doesn't always come so easily to me). The one downside to purchasing non-IS lenses other than the obvious IQ is value. Non-IS lenses depreciate greater than IS lenses.

To pursuade you towards purchasing the 28-105mm, here are a few photographs I took with it earlier today. Mine literally arrived earlier today in the mail (I bought it on ebay for less than 200$). It's cloudy outside today and since I am a novice I wanted to let the camera handle the f/stop for me. These were taken on a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT under ISO 400 on tv mode. I set the shutter speed to 560-800 on most shots.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dan.amodeo/TestingThe28105mmLens/photo#5091643364138959794
z0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 8:51 PM   #6

I have the Canon 28-135mm for my main walk around lens. I have done tons of research before buying this lens and i am glad i did. I get great quality pictures from this lens and the zoom range is perfect for a walk around lens. I still have my kit lens for if i want to go wider but i doubt i will use that lens very much any more since i have this one. With this lens i get better contrast and color along with sharper pictures. I have used the IS also on it and you would be amazed on how nice that feature is. I never thought i would use it much but i won't buy a lens with out it now.
Attached Images

scotiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 8:56 PM   #7

one more pic for you to see.
Attached Images

scotiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:24 PM   #8

hye guys..

thanks for your suggestions and advice.

i'm sure i'll be able to find that suitable lens for me.

maybe i'll still consider the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM but i'll definately look into the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II lens.

if there are still other suggestions or better advice.. please do so. I'm very open to anything that will help me improve my inventory as well as my photography. whos knows maybe in the future I can consider turning pro (big dreams right..but who really knows..)

Thanks all esp to those who commented.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 5:42 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Are you sure you want an equivalent focal length of (28-135) *1.6 => 45- 216mm?

For some people that's very useful as a "walk-around" length, for others (like me) it's not nearly wide enough.

If you want the crop camera equivalent you should be looking at something like 17-85 or 17-70.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:23 AM   #10

hmm... you got a point there peripatetic..

thanks for pointing that out to me.

didn't even think about that angle.