Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2003, 8:40 PM   #11

Frank,

What is CL1?

Thanks,
Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 2:15 AM   #12

Capture One DSLR, sorry I misspelled it.

The Adobe camera RAW plugin is nice but it will give you a long workflow, I used to work arround 2-3 minutes on each photo (from opening to saving), just because you had to do them one by one.

With Capture One DSLR you can do some very neat batch processing, and tranferring settings from one shot to another adjusting just slightly if necessary.

You can save in JPEG and TIFF.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 3:58 AM   #13

Dear Frank,

I think I got confused at this point :shock: or you don't understand my problem quite well. My main problem is not the image processing rather image upload to the computer. Whenever you use the canon software you upload the images and then you have to "save as" all the photos one by one, and then you have the chance only to convert it to TIFF not leave as RAW, whenever you open the file agiain it becomes 30MB, baceause of its RAW format. This whole process is quite either time and storage place consuming. I would like to find something, which can only save RAW foprmat, and if I would like to modify some of my images and I have to convert it then I can leave with it no problem, but to upload and save as all the images 1by1 is like an ethernity . EG with my kodak dc280: kodak software does the same it reads out picture info and then you have to save it. So I use ACDSEE to upload the images that's all. I thougth RAW plugin is a kind of solution only for this problem isn'T it???
caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 4:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
I only shoot .JPGs when I need to shootlots of pics fast. This is very seldom for me. This is why I always shoot RAW - there is no other way if you want (almost) total control! But you will have a lot of work afterwards!
Dear Klaus,

You right I think the same but the question is: How do you upload your images onto your PC as the fastest way???
You do use your DSLR software or you use RAW plugin with PS7 or someway else???

THNX,

Caddy
Old Aug 17, 2003, 4:27 AM   #15

Well...

If I got a huge job, let's say I'm shooting over 200pics, then I'll first upload my shots to a harddrive, which I carry with me. Back home I then opload via USB1.1 to my PC. This is a very slow process, but I'm not that often in a hurry..

Shooting few shots, I have a cardreader also USB1.1 - this is much faster.

Shooting in my small home-studio I connect the camera directly to the PC and when I take a shot, it goes directly to my PCs harddrive.
The shots are then automatic opened in Nikon Capture 3.5.1.

I also own the Adobe Raw plugin, but it not very good. Nikon Capture is really a much better program. The editing of the files is done in very small steps - not like i.e photoshop, which is very rough!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 2:48 PM   #16

Caddy.

I download the pictures from the camera software using a reader (not the camera) to speed things up, for the software it looks like my camera is connected.

In the C1L software I can do some settings I like like sharpening and levels etc. and THAN batch save it to JPEG or TIFF whatever you want.

The CRW's I leave UNTOUCHED and copy them to a new folder in which I store my negatives.

The RAW's stay arround 7-8.5 MB the JPEG's vary from 1 to 3 MB, when I want to print a picture I call the raw up again in C1L (it remembers the settings I did) and than convert it to TIFF.

It really goes VERY fast, just did 50 shots in under 20 minutes.
(most were the same exposure and editing).

Greetings,
Frank
Old Aug 17, 2003, 4:51 PM   #17

Dear Klaus and Frank,

Thank you for the advice, I think I'm gonna take them. By the way I cannot assure you that I won't come back again with even sillier questions :lol:

:idea: As understand now the best way to upload pictures wiht the cardreader, use the RAW plugin for PS7m abd convert it whnever I would like to edit it I should convert it to TIFF.
AM I RIGHT :?: :?: :?:

THNX again,

Caddy
Old Aug 18, 2003, 3:19 AM   #18

No,

With the PS7 plugin you will have to edit EVERY picture one by one opening PS7 for saving, giving name, location etc. etc. a very time consuming work.

Please look at the demo version of Capture one from picture flow, http://www.pictureflow.com/ and use this one.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:11 AM   #19

I am confused by this conversation. Adobe doesn't have a plug-in for the D10 yet. I called the company and they confirmed that a raw plugin is not available yet for the D10 - it is available for other models but not the D10. It seems they are blaming Canon for this problem. Adobe does not list the 10D on their site as one of the cameras that are compatiable with their plugin. It will probably be included in the next edition of PS.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:18 AM   #20

sorry, I meant the model 10D throughout my previous post, not the D10.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote