Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 6, 2007, 4:54 PM   #1

I have a new 30D (purchased in June) that has been giving me "error 01" messages, but only with one lens. I have a Sigma EX 80-400 that I get the error message with, but I have no problem with either of my Tamron SP lenses, a 17-35 and a 24-135. The only difference is that the Sigma is stabilized, the Tamrons are not. The error appears to be connected in some way to the stabilization function. The Sigma was damaged in a fall, and I assumed the error message was a result of some undetected damage to the stabilizer mechanism, but the factory service center can't find a problem… they say they've shot over 500 frames with no errors on a 30D test camera. I was getting the error message once every 5 or 10 frames, sometimes more.

Is it possible that the camera body is causing the problem, and it doesn't show up with an unstabilized lens? Does the camera even "know" whether the lens is stabilized or not? I never got this error with that same Sigma lens on my original 30D, which was damaged beyond economical repair… it's only my new one that seems to have a problem, and I'm at a loss as to what to do next!

Help!

Rocky

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:20 PM   #2

Rocky,

Sorry to hear about your problems. The only thing I could think of to help trouble shot the problem would be to find a Sigma dealer close by and see if they will let you try a couple of the same model lens or try to borrow another 30D body to see if you get the same error msg.

Maybe even try a differnt model/make of an IS lens on your body. If you are able to do some of these things, then when you talk to the sigma/canon repair folks the results might help.

Keep us up to date and good luck

Mugmar

PS I'd let you try my 30D if you were in town
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:21 PM   #3

I am sure you have the manual that states that the Err 01 is a communication error between the camera and lens is faulty. How are the contacts were they damaged in the fall? How do the contacts look on the body?
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:54 PM   #4

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
I am sure you have the manual that states that the Err 01 is a communication error between the camera and lens is faulty. How are the contacts were they damaged in the fall? How do the contacts look on the body?
yep. the contacts appear fine on both lens and body. the only possible issue there might be if the contacts on the lens got "pushed in" somehow when the whole thing fell on its arse (it was mounted on my first 30D, which landed flat on its back with the lens mounted). i suppose it's possible that could lead to some sort of intermittent connection...

Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:56 PM   #5

I can't help with your problem, BUT Sigma just sold me a new 80-400 to replace one "beyond economic repair". It seems the lens did not like being under water....
Anyway they sold it to me for $803, and it was covered by ins. If you can convince them it's the lens, they may be able to do the same for you ~ Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 7:00 AM   #6

had the same problem with a tokina lens, turns out it was the lens had turned a little too far and the contacts did not line up. try turning the lens a fraction either way and see what happens. worked for us
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:11 AM   #7

wow this must be odd.. I don'thear much about faulty lens
fiveFPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 2:53 PM   #8

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
had the same problem with a tokina lens, turns out it was the lens had turned a little too far and the contacts did not line up. try turning the lens a fraction either way and see what happens. worked for us
not a bad idea, but there's not that much play in the mount. unless the contacts are just plain misaligned to begin with, but the lens worked fine with my first 30D... besides, i'm having the same problem with my 40D. Sigma told me to send the lens back for re-evaluation, but since i've only had the problem with brand new cameras, and my old one worked perfectly, i wouldn't be surprised to learn that Canon changed something in the firmware, or perhaps signal levels or something, that makes the newer cameras less reliable with 3rd party lenses...
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:20 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Sigma are pretty good at trying to keep customers happy so they will generally sort something like this out for free (assuming that it is something Canon have changed) even out of warranty. If it is a problem with the lens and it is out of warranty then you will likely have to pay, but they don't charge over the odds.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:16 AM   #10

There is one obvious suggestion I did not notice anyone mentioning and that is properly cleaning the contacts (camera AND lens), which more often than not works when a lens appears to go south. Just last week a friend was complaining of the same thing with only one lens (all others worked), and had tried to clean the contacts with a pencil eraser — and that had not worked.

I cleaned the contacts for her by GENTLEY and carefully using an ink-stick-pen eraser. Problem solved. The ink-stick-pen erasers are a tad more agressive than pencil erasers. You might try cleaning the contacts and see if that helps.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote