Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:32 PM   #1

Now i've got all the lens i wanted i'm looking for a FF body.I'm mostly going to use the camera for wide angle landscapes and portraits.
I can get both for about the same price.
I'm slightly leaning towards the 1Ds MkI
Could anyone help solve my dilema?

The advantages of 1Ds:
Integrated Grip
Pro body.
Can focus at F/8

Advantages to 5D
Newer technology (not always a good thing)
But have to spend money for a grip, not as rugged as the 1D

P.S.
Kit i have so far
EOS 30D + BG-E2
Sigma 10-20 ( crop factor will exchange for 12-24)
Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 ( Also cropped body only but not too bothered about that range on FF)
Canon EF 50mm Mk2 ( will work on both)
Sigma EX 70-200mm F/2.8 (will work on both,will use it on 30D for sports and on FF for potraits..etc)
Sigma 150mm Macro F/2.8 (works on both)
Kenco Super 300 2x Teleconverter (works on both).
Also thinking about trading in the 70-200 for a 120-300 EX F/2.8+Sigma 2x

Thanks
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:06 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I recently made this decision myself and went for the 5D with battery grip.

The things that the 1Ds has as you've listed are good, however the 5D has better high ISO capabilities, the 1Ds only goes to 1250 so not enough for weddings and this was one of the biggest things for me. The 5D has a higher res, however not a big difference, bigger buffer, potentially important in a fast paced wedding when shooting RAW and wanting to capture speechesand reactions etc. Another big thing is guarantee, I could only have had 3 months on the 1Ds and a year with an option to extend on the 5D.

Weatherproofing on the 1Ds is a bonus but portraits and landscapes are probably not going to require this.

The 1Ds is likely to be 2+ years old and will have taken numerous shots so the mech could be near a big service. I do like other things about it though, the viewfinder is 100% coverage and you have a lot of info in it including shots left and ISO, neither of which you get on the 5D. Also the extra focus points give more options so you are getting 45 rather than the 9 of the 5D so that is a good sales point. There is a very nice feature on the 1Ds that I would love and that is the ability to capture voice clips so I have to go with my mobiles voice recorder or a note pad if I'm feeling low tech.

There are advantages to both cameras and you need to make the decision yourself. All I can say is that you won't be disappointed with the 5D if you get it, and I can't see why the 1Ds would be a badcamera to have :-)
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:14 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply mate.I don't shoot weddings at all so the iso doesn't bother me at all, i hardly ever go above 400 anyway.When it comes to focus points i only ever use the center one so thats no biggie.The way i plan to use the 1ds/5d (mainly landscapes architecture) means i'm not going to put a lot of shots trough it.I tend to use single shot most of the time even for sports.The 5fps on the 30d is enough for me anyway.Buffer size becomes irrelevant as well.I guess it will all come down to weather i need all the custom functions of 1series cameras.I presume battery life on the 1ds will be worse than the 5d. Is the 5d with the grip smaller than the 1ds?I have quite big hands and like having a bit more room/grip available.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:32 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The 5D with gripis a tiny bit smaller than the 1Ds however not a huge amount and I find it very comfortable in the hand (I'm 6'6" so not a small chap). A lot of the customer functions are in the 5D so unless there is anything specific you need the 5D probably does the job.

I'm yet to buy a 2nd hand camera as I like to know I'm the only person to have used it and know that it's been looked after, when spending as much money as we are talking about that counts for a lot in my book. However it will depend on the shooter previously to how well they cared for it, some full time pros really look after their kit and others are of the opinion that it is only a tool, it is a business expense and as such nothing to be concerned about.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:48 PM   #5

well then i guess i comes down to price/quality. I can get the 5D for about 1300quid from HongKong or about 1500-1600quid in the UK, grip is another 150.

I've seen 1Ds Mk1s go for about 1000 on ebay in good condition(so they say)
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:16 PM   #6
Super Moderator

It's a shame as you've just missed the 5D's cash-back of £100. If you check out on eBay there is the Canon Outlet which has refurbished stock going for better prices than new and you get a years guarantee!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outle...Q3amesstQQtZkm
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:21 PM   #7

yeah i've seen them refurbished cameras and i do not feel comfortable getting one of them, as of the cashback that only works if you buy the camera from the uk, ebay purchase doesn't qualify. Thanks a lot for the help i guess i'll be thinking about it a mate of mine has a 5D i'll give it a go next weekend and pick it up from there
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:22 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Cool let us know how you get on.