Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:32 PM   #1

some of you may have read my post in the "what camera should i buy" thread. i did order a 20d through cameta. but ended up having cold feet because it was a refurbished model. so i cancelled the order and went to my local shop to buy the 30d. i absolutely love the camera! i guess i'm kind of a noob although i did take a few camera classes back in college so i kind of know my way around an slr. once i played around with the 30d for a little bit i felt like i had been using it for years.

anyway, i read the press release this morning about the 40d and after looking at the msrp i was kind of shocked. for only a little more i could get the 40d. imo, the upgrades from the 30d are worth it. so i called my shop and asked about a trade/upgrade and they said as long as i wasn't going to put in hundreds of hours on the camera they'd be able to give me full credit toward the purchase of the 40d. i wouldn't have rushed into buying the 30d if i didn't have a relatives birthday i need to shoot this weekend but i guess it's no big deal since it looks like i'll be able to upgrade.

i guess the reason for my post is just to get your thoughts and to see if anyone is in the same boat.
alleyooptroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:37 PM   #2

As long as you don't mind the wait and you're going to get full credit, it appears the 40D offers some significant improvements. 9 cross type focus points is a massive improvement. Supposedly better AF (although the 30D still had arguably the best AF in it's class), larger LCD and even an extra 1.5 fps. All are pretty good upgrades.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:05 PM   #3

yeah, it seems like a win-win situation. guess i've just got to keep the 30d looking shiny and new for the next few weeks. if it end up not working out for some reason i'll still be happy.

btw, when i called the shop this morning no one knew when they would actually have the 40d in stock. they just said sometime in september. does anyone know how long it typically takes between the official announcement and when stores will actually get inventory?
alleyooptroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 4:10 PM   #4

alleyooptroop wrote:
Quote:
yeah, it seems like a win-win situation. guess i've just got to keep the 30d looking shiny and new for the next few weeks. if it end up not working out for some reason i'll still be happy.

btw, when i called the shop this morning no one knew when they would actually have the 40d in stock. they just said sometime in september. does anyone know how long it typically takes between the official announcement and when stores will actually get inventory?
Hard to say how long it will take and how many they will get when they do come in.
ST77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 1:14 PM   #5

I got mine Sep 7 and they were already available in Dallas for a few days. The body only kits went first. 40D is a definite improvement over the 20D but I'm really not sure its that much better. The upgrades I think are most interesting is the "live" view with the 3" viewer and the sensor cleaner at start-up. I am not sure the 11% increase in pixels is that significant. It is definitely faster than the 20D. Startup and fps, enough that I noticed the difference at startup. (at least i think it is). Still its better to go with the latest model than not. Reason, you'll be less likely to want to upgrade when the 50D comes along...
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote