Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:13 PM   #11
NHL

peripatetic

I agree that for birding too the 40D looks more promising than the MrkIII if not for the higher 1.6x crop alone. Its smaller size and weight also help for carrying the outfit around in the wild. I just don't know how well it is sealed though as in places where I go it does rain a lot and unexpectantly...

Canon does have a nice line up with theses recent releases, but like you said the D200 is going into its 2nd year and the D2x is even older still so I just can't wait to see what the N camp has to offer to upstage this!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 4:12 AM   #12

I'm seriously considering an Oly outfit with the Bigma (for the fraction on the cost of any Canon additional lenses) as a 100-1000mm lightweight alternative - Oh and it comes with IS in the body!

or the sigma 120-300 for the Olym outfit
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:47 AM   #13
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
I'm seriously considering an Oly outfit with the Bigma (for the fraction on the cost of any Canon additional lenses) as a 100-1000mm lightweight alternative - Oh and it comes with IS in the body!

or the sigma 120-300 for the Olym outfit
That's true too...

The reason I picked the Bigma instead is when I went on my excursions in the wild with the 500mm f/4 I usually take the 100-400 along which is just dead weight. The Sigma 50-500 weights about the same, but now if I add an Oly body(@ 490g) I end up with another 100-1000 outfit at the ready anytime without having to change any lenses!

Going to a 600 on a Canon would set me back an extra $7k, but imagine all that weight (and the required tripod) for that extra 100mm! A sigmonster will give more reach, but again I have to change my shooting style... I think the Oly is just about the right compromise especially when I enlarge a lot -> It's 10Mp put it square in the 4:3 print format (which is equivalent to a 13Mp+ 3:2 dSLR after the crop on either side)
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:00 AM   #14

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I do have to say however that the sample images on the Canon website for the 40D are stunning. I would certainly choose the 40D over the 1DmkIII considering the price difference.
It depends on what level of quality you're after and whether you need servo focusing. The devil is in the details so to speak:

The mk III has 19 high-precision cross type focus points. I believe the 40d now has 9 cross type but the center is still the only high-precision point (i.e. the only one that benefits from 2.8). Not only that but the mkIII's center point is precision to f4. So, not all cross-type focus points are created equal.

Also - the 40d still doesn't have the focus chip of the 1 series. It isn't using the same servo focusing processing. So for anyone using AI-Servo this will still be a difference.

Remember - for sports & wildlife shooters it often isn't about 1 great image it's about keeper rate. And for those doing servo shooting, especially in low light - the mk III should still hold an advantage - just like the IIN did over the 30d.

Canon isn't stupid - they're improving both mid and pro level cameras but you're not going to see pros switching to 40ds.

And you also have the quality of the bokeh to consider. Peripatetic - which gives you better bokeh for your portrait work - your 5d or 20d (I forget which other you have)?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:28 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Oh there's no doubt the 1 series are the better cameras.

I'm just amazed at how much camera you get with the 40D for the money. At this point it seems like the best value for money in the range to me.

But for my purposes I am still enamoured of the shallower DOF, high ISO performance (though the 40D may well match it) and increased dynamic range (which it won't match). The higher resolution is slightly useful, but I love the extra size and particularly the viewfinder, though the 40D is said to be bigger than the 20/30D and have a better viewfinder too. I am a little jealous of the extra bit depth though, especially for shadow areas.

I think it's going to hit that same "sweet-spot" that the Nikon D200 has had all to itself for a while.

Looks like a fabulous camera to me.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:35 PM   #16

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I'm just amazed at how much camera you get with the 40D for the money. At this point it seems like the best value for money in the range to me.

I think it's going to hit that same "sweet-spot" that the Nikon D200 has had all to itself for a while.

Looks like a fabulous camera to me.
I agree totally. Gotta love competition. Hopefully Nikon's D3x will push the envelope. Hopefully the new sony sensor will push the envelope. And hopefully Oly continues it's push. Should be a good year for camera buyers all around!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:45 AM   #17

and we already have the D3. On paper looks like a monstor of a camera. Nikon just upped the ante...

Lovely year for photography
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:30 AM   #18
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
and we already have the D3. On paper looks like a monstor of a camera. Nikon just upped the ante...

Lovely year for photography
Yeap - Just like last year the competitions stayed ahead of Canon by 2 Megapixels! :-):lol::G
-> but up the ante by ISO-6400 (did anyone see thoses AF points?)

Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:48 AM   #19

If the D300 has no performance glitches AND can perform at higher ISOs it absolutely trounces the 40D. This is the kind of stuff I love to see Now we're starting to get to the 'next level' of pushing professional level features down to the masses. And now with Nikon going full frame in the d3, canon is actually going to have to go back to trying to innovate again.

Well done, Nikon!!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:35 AM   #20
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Well done, Nikon!!
Well now that we know what the sensors are like - It'll be interesting to see what Sony and Pentax will come up with... They are yet to come

Quote:
If the D300 has no performance glitches AND can perform at higher ISOs it absolutely trounces the 40D. This is the kind of stuff I love to see Now we're starting to get to the 'next level' of pushing professional level features down to the masses.
The D300 is also encroaching on the 1D MrkIII turf for much less!!!