Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2007, 2:58 PM   #21
NHL

IMO Sony has a good base to start from - It's only their fault if they screwed up the Minolta legacy...

This is the features from a 1990 camera's: http://sds.com/mug/9xi_inf.html

"The AF CCD sensors work in light levels down to EV -1" - guess where the new Canon is down to (or Nikon)?

"The Multi-Dimensional Predictive Focus Control provides 3 dimensional subject tracking at very high subject speeds. (Author note: I have tracked race cars easily at 160 kph (100mph) and other authors have noted that speeds as high as 250kph may be possible)." - Remember this is a 90's camera

"The 1/12000 sec. shutter speed was achieved through the use of carbon fiber-reinforced epoxy in 8 of the 10 shutter blades." - and I thought carbon fiber only goes into race car recently

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The comments about it aren't too shabby for a system with only 4 AF sensors. Do you think we're getting spoiled? lol
This number 4 of AF point is meaningless! :blah:

Each of thoses 4 AF point is actually a CCD (i.e. an image sensor) and they are HUGE! -> they cover more area than smaller AF points could so they handle the transition better when the subject move from 1 point to the next!

Remember Minolta AF down to f/8 on all their bodies... for the CAT
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:59 AM   #22

on flash, i doubt if canon would listen about flashes.

the nikon flash system right from their early SB model had/have the pc socket pin which the canon decided to implement in their 400 dollor 580 EX II after lots of complaining.(i mean lots and lots of complaining from people doing strobes)

but as NHL said, i dont have any doubt seeing people jump from Canon to Nikonif the released nikon cameras perform as good or even 80% as good as they appear in paper.

i just wish Sony does use some of the best designs(both internally and externally) from Konica Minolta system to bring out a very good camera. I am sure they wont be concentrating much on the pro series at this time, but can really validate the current market when releasing their new camera. They have the sensor to work with and they have the KM with them. Even if they can sell a KM 7D(enhanced SONY version rather)aimed at prosumer level costing around 1200-1400 they can bring about a stiffer competition at the prosumer level.

Lets just wish they dont disappoint

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:49 AM   #23
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
the nikon flash system right from their early SB model had/have the pc socket pin which the canon decided to implement in their 400 dollor 580 EX II after lots of complaining.(i mean lots and lots of complaining from people doing strobes)
Yeap - I believe the wireless sync through studio strobes is now also supported on the 580EX-II (not that I have not complained a lot in Steve's forum). Heck even the lowly priced Sigma EF-500 DG Super supported this feature!

Quote:
i just wish Sony does use some of the best designs(both internally and externally) from Konica Minolta system to bring out a very good camera. I am sure they wont be concentrating much on the pro series at this time, but can really validate the current market when releasing their new camera. They have the sensor to work with and they have the KM with them. Even if they can sell a KM 7D(enhanced SONY version rather) aimed at prosumer level costing around 1200-1400 they can bring about a stiffer competition at the prosumer level.
... and I agree completely - The PRO market has been closed for a long time, and it was always dominated by Nikon and now Canon. They can have all the pro market they want but that's not where the volume is or where a mass market manufacturer like Sony want to be. It's at the low-end and mid-section where most of the cameras will be sold - Just look at how Nikon overtook the lead from Canon in Japan and asia based on the 40D alone (I believe Sony has one good entry here already): They are now targeting the next group, the advanced photographers!

I'm a very good example...
I'm in the market for a birding outfit with a longer focal lenght than my 100-400L - A 600mm Canon is not the answer as it's going to be much more heavier than my 500L. Plus I'm proud not to be a "PRO" here: This is supposed to be a fun hobby and not overburden myself with another tripod/gymbal around. We tend to travel overseas a lot too and some tours now put restrictions on what you can bring:

A 100-1000mm Oly makes perfect sense to me (cost wise too!)- Don't tell me I need my PRO caliber 1DMrkII for bird in flight as theses were all captured with the 'antique' 10D's AF system: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11

-> All of a sudden here comes a 'mini' D2Xs in the form of a D300 with a 2x crop possibility - What's wrong with that picture? Unless Oly can upset this balance with another E series it looks like Nikon has my business for now!
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:38 AM   #24
Administrator

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
i just wish Sony does use some of the best designs(both internally and externally) from Konica Minolta system to bring out a very good camera.
We know that they are working on an advanced amateur model and a pro model (i.e., what they refer to as their flagship model), and they've already announced that one of these two cameras will be available this year.

What I think what would be more likely to have a bigger impact on things like Marketshare is not what they have announced, but what they haven't announced, especially with the increase in camera sales you normally see during the year end holiday season. Sony wants a big piece of the pie, and the entry level segment is what makes up most of those sales now.

So, I wouldn't assume that what they've already announced (Advanced Amateur Model, Pro Model) is all they plan on doing in the DSLR lineup in the near term. Manufacturers like to hold some of their cards pretty close to the vest, not only to try and keep competitors from knowing all of their plans to better position themselves against competing models, but also to prevent impacting sales of existing cameras.

Sony has a history of that kind of thing (surprising the market, including the digital cameras sites and other journalists, with new cameras that are totally unexpected). For example, I can remember when Steve got a pre-production Sony DSC-R1 in September of 2005, with zero advance warning or information about it ahead of time (with no idea that is was in the works until he received a package with the camera).

They kept it under very tight wraps until it was already rolling off the production line, making sure it was on the dealers' shelves in time for year end buying.

Other manufacturers tend to do the same thing (wait until a new camera is rolling off the line before announcing a new model, as not to impact sales of what they already have in a given market niche).

We'll just have to wait and see what they have up their sleeves when they are ready to tell us. But, I would not be surprised to see Sony launch more than one model before year end. The opposite is more likely from my perspective. Given Sony's aspirations for DSLR marketshare, I'd be surprised if we didn't see more than one model launched in time for the year end buying frenzy. Only time will tell.

In any event, more competition is a good thing, since it improves the cameras from all manufacturers and helps to make better gear more affordable for all.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:13 PM   #25
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
We know that they are working on an advanced amateur model and a pro model (i.e., what they refer to as their flagship model), and they've already announced that one of these two cameras will be available this year.
IMO anything remotely closed to a D300 with built-in IS will be a bombshell !!! :-):lol::G

As to your point regarding the low-end, all Sony needs is an updated 12Mp A100 with IS. They could use their newly released lesser 12-bit sensor in that spot and really drive down the cost... with practically no competition @ this time

Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:10 AM   #26

IMO anything remotely closed to a D300 with built-in IS will be a bombshell !!!

Absolutely. No doubt about that. They already have their IS system so far working perfectly on their alpha series. 7D build, D300 features(atleast 80%) and IS at 1300-1500 bucks would be perfect to split the market at this time.

I'm a very good example...
I'm in the market for a birding outfit with a longer focal lenght than my 100-400L - A 600mm Canon is not the answer as it's going to be much more heavier than my 500L. Plus I'm proud not to be a "PRO" here: This is supposed to be a fun hobby and not overburden myself with another tripod/gymbal around. We tend to travel overseas a lot too and some tours now put restrictions on what you can bring:

Absolutely true. I am just a novice learning to take birds and wildlife. I bought the 120-300 to get to 600mm with a 2x.Even then carrying the 120-300 is very taxing. On sultry days i feel like dragging a big bull. I liked the D2x for its 2X capability.. At 600mm i am still too far away with my mark II.

The nikon way of implementing the 2X in D2X was absolutely brilliant. At around 7.5MP the camera does 2X. I would be glad to have the 120-300 on the D2x. Heck, it gives me 600mm at f2.8 and 1200mm at f5.6. I would be more than glad to carry that camera around.:blah:
Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:28 PM   #27
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Absolutely true. I am just a novice learning to take birds and wildlife. I bought the 120-300 to get to 600mm with a 2x.Even then carrying the 120-300 is very taxing. On sultry days i feel like dragging a big bull. I liked the D2x for its 2X capability.. At 600mm i am still too far away with my mark II.
Then imagine how more taxing it is to carrying a 500mm f/4L (or worst a 600mm) around instead!

Quote:
The nikon way of implementing the 2X in D2X was absolutely brilliant. At around 7.5MP the camera does 2X. I would be glad to have the 120-300 on the D2x. Heck, it gives me 600mm at f2.8 and 1200mm at f5.6. I would be more than glad to carry that camera around. :blah:

The beauty of it is: you can have your cake and eat it too!

For a Canon guy who need the frames rate and the dense multi AF points array upgrade from an Xti or the 20/30D, there's only one steep option in the 1D MrkIII; However' isn't that the same cost as a D300 and a 120-300 f/2.8 with some change to spare? BTW That's also a 50% saving over a 600 or SigMonster outfit of similar reach (minus all the weight!)

It's advantageous to be able to 'play' both side of the fence... If history repeats itself within the next 12-18 months Canon may have several entries to compete again in this segment, but by then you're still ready

-> With this in mind I would get another lens that would complement each other like the 50-500 (or the lighter Tamron) instead of the 120-300 f/2.8 for the Nikon outfit. It's lighter, cheaper, and a lens without TC will always beats a lens with one. If you need f/2.8 then go back to the Canon. For me it's a matter of getting rid of the dead weight in the 100-400L when I go out with the 500...
Who know I might like this so much that I might end up leaving the 1DMrkII home eventually :-)
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:49 AM   #28

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0709/07...nydslra700.asp

sony with an announcement....as expected lots of 7D features......

Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:19 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
sony with an announcement....as expected lots of 7D features......
Sorry, no detailed preview here. But, Steve plans on a full review once they get us a production camera.

Quote:
We thank Sony for the opportunity to test an A700 beta unit and look forward to the arrival of a full production unit so we may pass on a full report to our readers. In advance of the review I would like to say I believe Sony has a real winner on their hands.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#a700

Note that this model has an updated AF sensor assembly as well as a beefed up AF motor and better algorithms compared to the Alpha 100. Initial reports are that it's going to be very fast for AF speed and reliabillity.

Of course, the Sony Alpha Pro model is yet to come (along with more lenses, as they've already announced that they're working on a Pro model as well as number of new lenses).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:48 PM   #30

There are other things to consider too, like Nikon's Matrix metering that is several generations ahead of Canon. Not only does the metering take into account color differentiation but also contrast. The algorithms in Canon's Evaluative System are 15 years old and are in sore need of an upgrade. Also, the Nikon's flash system has always been ahead of Canon. Canon has rested on its laurels and realy needs to catch up with the 5d upgrade.
Jon_Doh is offline   Reply With Quote