Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:59 AM   #1

D300 and D3 are out now..

D300,the specs are lot attractive than the 40D

I love the way Nikon steps up the competetion. 40d was good. D300 atleast looks better.

Long live competetion.

In another two years hopefully we can get our hands on a pro level camera for less than 2000 dollors (Optimistic)

the D300 also has tough weather sealing as claimed by them. Amazing.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:57 AM   #2

I agree - Nikon definitely stayed ahead of Canon by pushing down two features (new 51 focus point system and ISO 6400) to their D300. Canon kept those similar features in their mk III.

What's going to be just as interesting to see is - what does this do to Pentax, Oly and Sony? They've got some great entry level DSLRs. It will be interesting to see if they can compete in the arms race at the higher prosumer end
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:39 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Well I think it's a Sony sensor. Isn't it?

So we can therefore expect to see a FF professional Sony camera soon. They have the Zeiss lenses after all, so that should be nice!

The D200 price will doubtless come down, and the D300 will force Canon to price the 40D down a bit too. Excellent!

The D3 competes directly with the 1DMkIII so that should put some downward price pressure there too.

No direct competition yet for the 5D - i.e. cheap FF. I expect we will have to wait a generation for that from Nikon - the D3 is their first FF after all. But who knows what Sony will bring to the game.

As for Pentax, well they get their sensors from Sony too, and don't forget that they have abandoned their MF digital plans, so perhaps they will try to get in on the game as well.

If the manufacturers keep going at this rate we will all soon have to stop blaming the equipment if our pictures aren't great. :blah:
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:24 AM   #4
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
The D200 price will doubtless come down, and the D300 will force Canon to price the 40D down a bit too. Excellent!

The D3 competes directly with the 1DMkIII so that should put some downward price pressure there too
I don't know... the D300 looks to me like a mini D3 and could compete well with the 1DMrkIII - I mean for the people who do not have the budget this might be an option

IMO the 40D is priced accordingly already ($500 below the D300)

The D3 is something else - It can do full frame or DX crop and is also very aggressively priced I think
-> Theses models slot right between Canon offerings (from the top and from the bottom)

Quote:
Well I think it's a Sony sensor. Isn't it?
Well they could have a 3rd option too :blah:

-> the other day Sony released another 12Mp+ sensor which is only 12-bit (not used by any OEM yet), so who know what else they might have up their sleeves. Sony is about 10 times bigger than Canon in revenues and no matter which brand come out ahead they already make their profit on the sensors... :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:47 AM   #5

NHL wrote:
Quote:
-> Theses models slot right between Canon offerings (from the top and from the bottom)
I agree and it's slightly tough from a consumer standpoint. Canon and Nikon offerings always seem to stagger each other. THey rarely stack up head to head from a price point / feature standpoint.

Of course it remains to be seen how well both cameras function. Everything looks great on paper. The Sony alpha looked great on paper (and is a nice camera) but when it hit the markets and the high ISO performance was poor I think that hurt the camera. Not unlike the D200s high iso performance was poor. So, in reality either the 40d or the D300 could fail to live up to it's on-paper promise. Assuming they both do, I agree - the models stack up by price point:

canon 1dmkIII

Nikon D300

Canon 40D

Nikon D200

Canon 400D

Nikon D40x / D40

And, that rather large price gap from Nikon D300 to Canon 1dmkIII will hurt Canon in the on-boarding of serious sports/wildlife hobbyists (or just techno-phobs who want the best features even if they don't use them).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:06 AM   #6
NHL

I modified it slightly:

Canon 1dsmkIII

Nikon D3

Canon 1dmkIII

Canon 5D

Nikon D300

Canon 40D

Nikon D200

Nikon D80

Canon 400D

Nikon D40x / D4

-> Embarass of choice and that's before Sony/Pentax :-):roll::G
The D3 does look interesting in that it encompasses both the MrkIII and 5D in functions... One really cool feature - it switches to the crop format when a Dx lens is mounted (EF-s on a FF no way!)
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:45 PM   #7
Administrator

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Of course it remains to be seen how well both cameras function. Everything looks great on paper. The Sony alpha looked great on paper (and is a nice camera) but when it hit the markets and the high ISO performance was poor I think that hurt the camera.
Probably so (it's considered this model's achilles' heel by some users, depending on what they're comparing it to). although part of that is because it's more sensitive than rated + Sony elected to use less aggresive noise reduction compared to most other similar models.

But, despite higher noise compared to it's competition, Sony managed to capture some 6.2% of the worldwide DSLR market (coming in 3rd behind Canon and Nikon) in 2006, despite having only one DSLR model that was only available for about half of the year. ;-)

With more DSLR models and lenses in the pipeline, I wouldn't underestimate them.

More competition is a good thing for consumers (features, prices and more), regardless of the brand you choose to shoot with.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:47 PM   #8
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
With more DSLR models and lenses in the pipeline, I wouldn't underestimate them.
I don't doubt this a bit - Check out their 'Pro' gears in the Video segment vs Canon:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/catego...s_Cameras.html
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:28 AM   #9

P envy from a Nikon troll. Go away 'nymph'.
Wayne Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 2:00 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Hey wayne, with your 22 posts you don't get to tell anyone to go away.

nymph is not a Nikon troll as you might have established if you'd bothered to read any of his previous posts.

You'd probably also be better off at DPReview if you want to start a fanboy thread. All of us here happen to use Canon but many of us have other gear too and we all recogise that strong competition is good for those who have investments in Canon gear.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote