Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:11 AM   #11
NHL

cmoy wrote:
Quote:
Hand held mycamera for this shot whileleaning outmy apartmentwindow :shock: I was very surprised I was able to get a decent shot w/o my tripod.
Why?
You're shooting @ 1/800s and this shutter speed would freeze anything!

-> I captured it @ 1/10s as more than 80% of my moon is covered by darkness to reveals the craters but you can notice the 'fuzziness' that jaykobe related to in the overexposed half part of my moon

What I've found when you're caught short without a tripod (or IS) to work well if you need to handhold at the slower shutter speeds are:
1. Rest the long tele on a trash can (they are everywhere) or park benches - This will work to sub seconds shutter-speed
2. Use a sequence burst (8 frame/s doesn't help here) the slower burst the better as camera shakes occur upon shutter activation and release - The middle frames are always steady as the initial transients are gone and you can throw away the remaining shots of when you let go of the shutter. I've use this technique sucessfully to many cavern tours (no trash cans here because of the narrow alleys :-)) for sub seconds shot as well...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 7:26 AM   #12

After I settled down I realized at 800 I wasn't going to get an movement. I was almost jumping up and down :? I use the trash can, car roof, light pole... when I'm in need of a tripod that's at home :-) What I always forget to do is use theburst setting :sad: I NEED to remember next time. Also, wish Icould've gotten closer :sad: Guess it's time to save for Canon's 1.4x extender :-)Thanks for the tips NHL!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 8:15 AM   #13
NHL

cmoy wrote:
Quote:
... Also, wish Icould've gotten closer :sad: Guess it's time to save for Canon's 1.4x extender :-)Thanks for the tips NHL!
I'm afraid you might need a little more than that...
My shot was already with a 300mm plus a 2X extender !!!
Old Sep 1, 2007, 8:20 AM   #14

:shock: I missed that in your post. I'll have to save a bit more :-)
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:10 AM   #15
djb

I'll put in 2 cents here. What I find that works as a good starting point for the full moon is 1/iso at f/16 so if you have iso 200 then use 1/200 at f/16 but, f/16 isn't needed so using f/4 you would use 1/6400. Use aperature priority and set the aperature to what you want. the meter can do the rest and then you can xperiment with different aperatures and shutter speeds in manual mode. Also remember if you're shooting a quarter moon (1/2 a full moon) you must adjust your settings accordingly as there is only 1/4 the amount of light. Autofocus doesn't always do well in this situation so manual focus would be better. Just remember to wear your glasses or have the correct diopter setting, otherwise you might have slightly out of focus results.

here's a gibbous phase shot I took a while ago at 1000mm f/8 1/125 iso 800 and leaning on my truck for support. f/8 was used as with my 500 mm f/4 and a 2x TC maximum aperature is f/8. It's quite apparent that my sensor needed a cleaning.

dennis

Attached Images

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:57 AM   #16

WOW! Amazing shot Dennis!
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:11 PM   #17

What a great freaking shot... HOLY SH*T
rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 1:51 AM   #18
djb

thanx guys!!! but, the point was exposure and manual focus. this particular shot is obviously post processed. i.e. usm, contrast, etc. I don't know if the other shots here have any PP done. If not, then there's lots of detail in all of them to make some really fine pictures.

dennis
Old Sep 3, 2007, 6:56 AM   #19
NHL

djb wrote:
Quote:
... Also remember if you're shooting a quarter moon (1/2 a full moon) you must adjust your settings accordingly as there is only 1/4 the amount of light...
Dennis

Very nice details indeed!

I'm with you here as well, however I'm wondering whether the exposure on the brighter side of the moon has changed at all though when it's 1/2 obscured? As a result as we compensate for the lower average light hitting the camera the brighter parts of the moon tend to saturate, correct?
Old Sep 3, 2007, 8:55 AM   #20
djb

NHL, actually you're correct in this case!! The moon at a 1/4 phase is still so bright compared to the background that it pretty much doesn't matter. Actually the distance and size doesn't matter here as the moon is at the same distance and is the same size. But, denerally speaking if a source of light at a constant size will follow the inverse of the square formula. At twice the distance the moon would look 1/2 the size (diameter) and would he size is 1/2 and the exposure becomes 4 of times as it would normally be. I was thinking of this and forgot the moon's distance hasn't changed. Don't expect too much from me at 2AM!!! :?

dennis