Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 21, 2002, 4:51 PM   #1

Default D60 Lens

I have a D60 on order and I need some help on a lens to purchase that would be good for wedding photography and general use. Please keep in mind that I am somewhat of a novice.
DigiCamNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2002, 10:47 AM   #2

what is the conversion factor (cf) on the camera 1.3 or 1.5?
remember this: every lens has a focal length based on 35mm film. your ccd is smaller than that. thus you will not be using all of the lens. if the cf is 1.3 a 20mm lens is the eqiuvilent to a 26mm digital with a1.5 cf is a 30 mm digital.

[Edited on 7-22-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 8:56 PM   #3

The conversion is a 1.6 Not sure if I understand correctly about the cf?
DigiCamNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 9:50 PM   #4

i use that (cf) instead of constantly retyping (c)onversion (f)actor. i don't type very well.
so 1.6x 20mm= 31.2mm equivelent lens.
if you like to shoot wide angle with this camera you have to get a real wide lens as you can see from the conversion factor. these tend to be more economic for telephoto lovers. quality wide angles cost more. so do your conversions and choose what end of the focal length spectrum. a 17-35 mm f2.8 is about $1500. this would be the equiv to a 27-56 mm in digicamera size.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 12:42 PM   #5

For the wide end, to save some bucks, I went with the 20-35mm because it's cheaper. That comes out to 32-56 with the 1.6 conversion factor - if that's wide enough for your needs.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2002, 12:35 PM   #6

You mentioned both weddings and "general use" in your message so it's a little difficult to give you a straight answer on lenses.

For "general use" alot of people are going with the 28-135 IS lens. It's relatively inexpensive (compared to the L lenses) and has a normal -> mid-tele range with the 1.6 conversion factor. I'd go with this lens for general use if I were you.

For wedding photography you're into a whole different ball game. You're going to need at least two lenses, in my opinion. I'd use the 16-35L for the wide -> normal shots and the 28-135 IS lens for your portrait shots. There are alot of other options as well, but this is just off the top of my head.

For weddings, don't forget your speedlight and filters as well

Hope that helps,
Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote