Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:26 PM   #11

DarkDTSHD, you missed my post. I restarted the thread. I had good results with my 40D:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...41&forum_id=37

Its been fun camera. Better than the 20D, but its still incremental improvement. I am glad I bought it, just wish I had more time to shoot.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:43 PM   #12

Ctrack wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD, you missed my post. I restarted the thread. I had good results with my 40D:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=37

Its been fun camera. Better than the 20D, but its still incremental improvement. I am glad I bought it, just wish I had more time to shoot.
Hello Ctrack,

Thanks for the heads-up. Nice pics!

So far pretty much all the 40D pics have been great.

What "color space" do you have you 40D set to?

Take care.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:05 PM   #13

Factory settings only. Seeing what it will do before I change things. I shoot people pics mainly but have had a chance to visit the local Arboretum for nature shots. Hope to venture out a bit more soon. Will post more as I get out more,
Attached Images

Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:06 PM   #14

I have been very pleased with my 40D purchase. I like to shoot sports, and the shutter speed, and AF are a big improvement over my 20D. I like that it is quieter also. I took it out to a local rink this past weekend where the NJ Devils practice, and got some photos. I tried switching up the ISO a bit, and found the pictures to have very little noise at 640. By 800 the noise started to creep in, and I really wasn't impressed with the 1600 as far as noise was concerned, but I imagine that is to be expected. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the upgrade, and I am glad I skipped the 30D.

If anyone would like to see some hockey shots captured with the 40D they are at the link below.

http://chrisg19.smugmug.com/gallery/3499390#197366812

Chris
chrisg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:47 PM   #15

chrisg19 wrote:
Quote:
I have been very pleased with my 40D purchase. I like to shoot sports, and the shutter speed, and AF are a big improvement over my 20D. I like that it is quieter also. I took it out to a local rink this past weekend where the NJ Devils practice, and got some photos. I tried switching up the ISO a bit, and found the pictures to have very little noise at 640. By 800 the noise started to creep in, and I really wasn't impressed with the 1600 as far as noise was concerned, but I imagine that is to be expected. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the upgrade, and I am glad I skipped the 30D.

If anyone would like to see some hockey shots captured with the 40D they are at the link below.

http://chrisg19.smugmug.com/gallery/3499390#197366812

Chris
Nice shots Chris (no pun intended there heh)! What AF mode were you in? Have you tried taking a series of shots while in AI Servo/Continuous?

I've been reading, in othe forums, about how some 40D owners are having focus problems while in AI Servo. Shooting action shots. With some other 40D owners reasoning out the results. And of course they have little or no focus issues while in AI Servo.

Just wondered. I'm considering the 40D (in addition to two others...the Nikon D300 and Sony Alpha A800).

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:09 PM   #16

I shot all of the photos you see there in AF Servo Continuous Hi (speed) mode. These were shot in full manual mode, and I had only the center AF Point active. I was very happy with the results of the auto focusing. It was very fast, and accurate. I was using a Canon 2.8 70-200IS, and if any of my photos were not sharp it was always because my subject was not centered. I switched to the 40D simultaneously with the Canon lens, from a 20d with a 2.8 70-200 Sigma DG lens, and there is no question the new rig is providing sharper photos consistently better than the older setup. I haven't read much about AF problems with the 40D, but would be interested to read what others are experiencing.

Chris
Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:16 PM   #17

chrisg19 wrote:
Quote:
I shot all of the photos you see there in AF Servo Continuous Hi (speed) mode. These were shot in full manual mode, and I had only the center AF Point active. I was very happy with the results of the auto focusing. It was very fast, and accurate. I was using a Canon 2.8 70-200IS, and if any of my photos were not sharp it was always because my subject was not centered. I switched to the 40D simultaneously with the Canon lens, from a 20d with a 2.8 70-200 Sigma DG lens, and there is no question the new rig is providing sharper photos consistently better than the older setup. I haven't read much about AF problems with the 40D, but would be interested to read what others are experiencing.

Chris

Hello Chris,

As for the URLs here they are...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/564662 (last 3-4 pages)

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/572567

http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/pr...w.html?garpg=2

Interesting that most of your photos were "accurate" (not that I have any reason not to believe you...seen your hockey pictures). I mean most of the toher 40D owners on thethreads I listed above haven't complained about AI Servo problems. Just one or two guys. Could they be doing something wrong? They sounded like they knew what they were doing though. So I don't know.

Maybe there are a few faulty 40Ds floating around? This is the first batch after all. I think the 40D has been out for roughly 2-3 weeks in the US and around 2 weeks here in Toronto. (shrug)

As a prospective buyer I'm sort of on the fence about the 40D. Looks like a great camera on paper. Seen a lot of good photos. Most 40D owners are happy. But I think I'll have to look more into this AI Servo thing more first.

Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:23 PM   #18

Yeah I read over those threads after your initial post, and I have to agree they seem pretty knowledgeable, so maybe it was just a problem with a few cameras. I also wonder, though I have no idea, if the stark contrast of the photos I shot at the rink have something to do with AF. Again, I have no real knowledge of how AF calculates, but maybe the tracking is better because of the predominantly white backgrounds I was shooting. Regardless, I am definately pleased with how it focused, but that may be because I always felt my 20D was overly soft on it's focus. The 40D is giving me results straight from the camera that I would have had to sharpen in photoshop to get from the 20D.

Chris
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:26 AM   #19
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
As a prospective buyer I'm sort of on the fence about the 40D. Looks like a great camera on paper. Seen a lot of good photos. Most 40D owners are happy. But I think I'll have to look more into this AI Servo thing more first.
It's quite funny how this AI-servo thing keep popping on every single camera new release when in most if not all cases the cameras are just fine but their users just do not realize how this AI-servo is supposed work...

-> I've seen this same subject on the 60D, 10D, 20D, 30D, and now the 40D (and even the MrkIII)! :-) :lol: :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:53 PM   #20

NHL wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
It's quite funny how this AI-servo thing keep popping on every single camera new release when in most if not all cases the cameras are just fine but their users just do not realize how this AI-servo is supposed work...

-> I've seen this same subject on the 60D, 10D, 20D, 30D, and now the 40D (and even the MrkIII)! :-) :lol: :G
I think, it's because newbies like myself didn't understand the nature of "AI Servo" (or in Nikon's lingo "Dynamic AF"). Or how AF modes truly work.That there are also people already with DSLRs who just never got informed. We all (newbies) assumed that all DSLRs would have spotless tracking. That it is as easy as half-pressing the shutter. As it was with our P&S cameras (though most P&S cameras don't hvae AF modes). As that is where I'm coming from. Or will be. When I get my DSLR.

When in fact there is some skill to getting AI Servo to track properly sometimes. Understanding how it actually does it's job would also help. As you said.

Any how, on with the show...