Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 3, 2008, 4:42 PM   #31

I will throw this out there for all to ponder and do with what you please. I recently upgraded from the 30D to the 40D, and previously from the 20D. I take a lot of sports photos (mostly hockey, baseball and soccer). I loved my 20D and my 30D and was exstatic when I found out the 40D would increase the burst to 6.5 fps, along with the 10.1 MP and supposedly and "improved" focusing system.

I rushed to buy my 40D and have been disappointed ever since. I have used the same lens, the same settings and everything else and have had a heck of a time with focusing in the AI mode. I've shot literally probably more than 100,000 sports action photos, and have never had the poor results that I have experienced with the 40D.

I spoke with a Canon Service Tech who reviewed some photos that I'd taken via email and suggested that I send the camera in for evaluation. I have since sent the camera in and am waiting to hear back from Canon. I also sent a disc with a gob of photos on it to show my problems with the 40D and the consistency that I did have with my 30D.

I'll keep you posted as to what Canon says.

Doug
dakzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 7:19 PM   #32

dakzoo wrote:
Quote:
I'll keep you posted as to what Canon says.

Doug
Please do. If nothing else, they should replace the unit.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 7:52 PM   #33

I picked up my 40D last week and have been quite pleased with the results so far. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one.

Last edited by killdeer0007; Sep 13, 2009 at 5:06 PM.
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 7:53 PM   #34

Another recent shot

Last edited by killdeer0007; Sep 13, 2009 at 5:06 PM.
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:33 PM   #35

i doubt if everyone really buys a camera based on just the Ai-Servo. like me my Mark III is now being used as an overal camera. Yes i use it for some sports to. But its doing more portraits, landscapes and even macros..

I was just looking at its use for me...

for me its just a hobby and i dont sell pictures..but honestly i didnt buy the mark III hoping the AI-Servo would be the best thing out of all other functions the camera provides.

40D is more camera than just AI-Servo..i may even add one fo a backup later...
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:11 PM   #36

Called Canon on Friday to check on status of my 40D in for repair of the AI focusing issues as discussed in my previous thread. Apparently, I'm not crazy and there is something wrong with the camera, as Canon has acknowledged that it is not functioning properly and the camera will be repaired under warranty. I won't know what was actually done until the camera gets back in my hands - hopefully late this week sometime - and I'll report back on whether or not the issue has been corrected.

Doug - Kalamazoo
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:32 PM   #37

picked up a 40D for one of the lowest price ever(:G:G:G:G) i was planning to pick a used 20D since they were going for 450odd. But call me lucky i found one for dirt cheap.

First impression is that i am impressed. Its got some serious features that are absolutely great. The shutter is very soft in live mode(set it to mode 2) and AF looks tack better than the 20D or 30D. The auto ISO is a good add on and its been three hours since i had the camera. I am actually loving the camera...

It has some good set of features which i would like in the mark III. We can AF in live mode. Though one cannot view image in the screen. This is a decent feature though beats the purpose(mirror down for AF stops Live viewtemporarily)of live mode. Live mode is something thats very impressive in both these cameras.

I will post more on the 40D.

And this was a total surprise to me to have this camera.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:36 PM   #38

Got my 40D back from Canon after sending it in for the AI Servo focusing issues. Canon claims that the camera seemed to "back focus" so they made some electrical adjustments. Well, they apparently didn't make the right adjustments because I took the camera out last night to my son's hockey practice and once again, it was completely "hit or miss" with the focusing issue. I got some occassional in-focus images (very few tack sharp) but most were unusable out-of-focus shots.

This has me very concerned. Should I send it back to Canon again for a replacement? Should I tell them I would prefer it be replaced with a 30D which I had prior to this and was very pleased with its results? Uuuugggghhhh.....
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:03 PM   #39

stick to your guns. The camera isn't working properly. So send it back again. I wish I could give specific advice but I've never had to send a camera in before. I just know if I spent $1300 on something it better darn well work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:31 AM   #40
Administrator

dakzoo wrote:
Quote:
[snip]
This has me very concerned. Should I send it back to Canon again for a replacement? ...
I'd consider sending it back with the lens you were using, in case the problem is lens specific.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote