Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:29 PM   #1

I know the 40D had hit the market roughly a week ago in the US. As some one (Frank aka ChodtheWacko) has already made a YouTube 4 part clip of it. Giving us a quick tour and some of his initial impressions. What are your (new owners) impressions so far?

We won't see it officially till the 21st up here in Canuckistan.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:15 PM   #2

I just purchased the 40D to replace my 20D. First impression: The shutter is very quiet compared to 20D and the body (grip)isnoticeblylarger. The specs don't really give that impression but holding the camera, it's noticeable. I don't have large hands so some of the controls will take to adjust to, even if they are in the same positions relatively speaking. It shoots faster and its amazing. I like the extra real-estate on the viewer. Quick note, test your camera before you buy. First one I sampled did not autofocus. Switched to another new body and worked fine. Probably someone changed a setting but I didn't want to take a chance ($1299 + tax) is still a lot of money. HopefullyI can post some test shots this weekend. Really anxious to shoot!
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 4:39 PM   #3

Ctrack wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased the 40D to replace my 20D. First impression: The shutter is very quiet compared to 20D and the body (grip)isnoticeblylarger. The specs don't really give that impression but holding the camera, it's noticeable. I don't have large hands so some of the controls will take to adjust to, even if they are in the same positions relatively speaking. It shoots faster and its amazing. I like the extra real-estate on the viewer. Quick note, test your camera before you buy. First one I sampled did not autofocus. Switched to another new body and worked fine. Probably someone changed a setting but I didn't want to take a chance ($1299 + tax) is still a lot of money. HopefullyI can post some test shots this weekend. Really anxious to shoot!

Congrats on the new 40D! Can I ask where you bought yours. Didn't AF? That would be a little annoying. You checked it out at the shop first? And while what you did saved you some aggrivation I think that was an isolated incident. Or at least I'd hope so. We'll wait and see if some of the other new 40D owners run into this.

Tell us if you run into banding. As the 30D did initially show signs. At least the first batch.

Looking forwards to your pics. Hope you post here on this thread.

Have a good weekend!

BTW...if any one is looking for pictures from a beta version...PM me for the URL.

Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:00 PM   #4
Super Moderator

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
BTW...if any one is looking for pictures from a beta version...PM me for the URL.
I don't think it's a big problem to say that they are on DPreview, although I don't personally post there (for many reasons) I keep an eye on some of the reviews etc.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:15 PM   #5

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
I don't think it's a big problem to say that they are on DPreview, although I don't personally post there (for many reasons) I keep an eye on some of the reviews etc.
Hiya Mark,

I wasn't sure how the moderators felt about it. Some sites some moderators can be fairly anal about this. Any how now those of us that didn't already know now does.

Have a good weekend!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:25 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I think it depends how it is done, if we were here screaming and shouting how good another site is or that we should be going else where that would be an issue. However to help others to learn about a piece of kit etc where we can all learn that is fine. I always talk about info contained within Steve's first but if it is not here for some reason and I can help someone out I will.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:41 AM   #7

Any more user impressions? One member had problems with his first 40D. Didn't AF at all. 2nd one was fine. But Ctrack hasn't posted since. Maybe he's just having too much fun with his new 40D.

Love to hear from more 40D owners.

Have a good Sunday people!
Old Sep 16, 2007, 1:19 PM   #8

Got my 40D some days ago, love it ! Nice colours, better f(than my 350) low noise and better expose......

One of my first shots..... http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8
sportive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 1:42 PM   #9

sportive wrote:
Quote:
Got my 40D some days ago, love it ! Nice colours, better f(than my 350) low noise and better expose......

One of my first shots..... http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8
Very nice picture! Keep them coming!!

But I have to ask. Are you happy with the AF performance? Have you used all the modes? Selecting specific AF points..etc. Some one had a problem when using a 180mm Macro lens and AI Servo. But that was a common issue with that lens. So that is a non-issue.

Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 1:57 PM   #10

99% i use one center af, and af working fast.....
sportive is offline   Reply With Quote