Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:35 PM   #71

No problem William, I'm happy to help.

f stops are not so hard to grasp really. The smaller numbers are larger openings, they let in more light,so these are the one's you will be using indoors without flash. Larger numbers are smaller openings, you (or the camera will choose for you if in auto or shutter preferred mode) will use these outdoors, or indoors with flash.

By the way, flash is another can of worms all in itself. My suggestion would be to get shutter speeds and f stops straight inyour mind, and tackle flash seperately. Believe it or not, your manual is a treasure trove of information about using your flash, but IMHO you would do much better to learn how shutter speeds and f stops affect your exposures because they also come into play with flash. But, that's just how I would approach it if I were you.

To be honest, I will need to get my D40 in my hands before I will be able to help much with the macro mode, because I'm sure it is totally different than any other cameras I have owned. But I can hardly wait, and I would be happy to post back here when I have it.

Just try not to get too frustrated, take it a one piece at a time, keep shooting, and have fun. Did you consider joining a camera club or taking a class? I took a class way back in the day, it turned out my instructor owned a local camera shop. He helped me buy my first camera, and we became great friends. Just a thought.
dmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:54 PM   #72

Thanks for the reply. I shall play some more, and look forward to hearing what you think when you get your 40D. Be sure to call it a 40D and not a D40, since the D40 is a Nikon consumer SLR.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:09 AM   #73

WilliamG wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I shall play some more, and look forward to hearing what you think when you get your 40D. Be sure to call it a 40D and not a D40, since the D40 is a Nikon consumer SLR.
My bad! :?:G
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:39 PM   #74

WilliamG wrote:
Quote:
**EDIT**

I see the macro on the lens. However, I have to move pretty far away from the object for it to be in focus, sadly. I think I need a better close-up lens.
William,

Just got my 40D today, and I ran out to the back yard to take some random shots. I left everything on auto, and took some close up shots with the lens set at the macro setting. I don't know why you had to move far away for the object to be in focus. I took this from just a few inches away. By the way there is a macro setting on the camera, it's the flower on the dial on the top left hand side. I didn't even use it yet because like I said I just left everything in auto.
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:40 PM   #75

Here's another....
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:55 PM   #76

Very nice shots! For whatever reason, whenever I've tried to take pictures from just a few inches away, the camera doesn't get focus on anything. I have to move pretty far back to get it in focus. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, though, if you did those from just a few inches away. I are dumb wit camera?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:27 AM   #77

WilliamG wrote:
Quote:
Very nice shots! For whatever reason, whenever I've tried to take pictures from just a few inches away, the camera doesn't get focus on anything. I have to move pretty far back to get it in focus. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, though, if you did those from just a few inches away. I are dumb wit camera?
Nahhh, just inexperienced. These pics are nothing special, just wanted to post an example of getting out there and shooting.

I'm not sure what is going on with the macro, I think you said you had the 28-135 IS like i do. Just get out there and have some fun, maybe take a class. It will come to you! :|
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:17 AM   #78

Just seems odd I can't focus that up close with the same lens. I will try some more today and report back with all my inexperience! Hehe!:-)
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:58 AM   #79

It looks like the minimum focus distance from the end of this lens is a little less than a foot. However, you can use the zoom to fill your frame. I will agree with you, to do any serious macro work, you will need a dedicated macro lens. I'm looking at the Canon 60mm, because that's what they are recommending over at wetpixel for underwater work.

Keep shooting!

Duane

Old Dec 10, 2007, 7:14 AM   #80

dmiles wrote:
Quote:
It looks like the minimum focus distance from the end of this lens is a little less than a foot. However, you can use the zoom to fill your frame. I will agree with you, to do any serious macro work, you will need a dedicated macro lens. I'm looking at the Canon 60mm, because that's what they are recommending over at wetpixel for underwater work.

Keep shooting!

Duane

Yes, that makes more sense. I had a fabulous time taking pictures this weekend at a birthday party. I'll have to upload a few good ones.

Thanks for all the help/advice/samples, people!