Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 19, 2003, 3:48 PM   #1

Default Canon Flash Units Compared

CANON FLASH UNITS COMPARED:

Greetings,

I have an Canon EOS D-60 with its built-in flash. I also have the Canon Speedlite 550EX external flash unit, which I haven't used much yet.

Now I assume the 550EX is far better than the built-in flash ... but where can I obtain a detailed, feature-by-feature comparison between the two units?

Thanks.

M i k e
shamrock838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:01 AM   #2
NHL

Mainly the guide number: The built-in is usually very weak at around GN13 or so vs GN55 for the 550EX. Feature are essentially the same between the built-in and the 550EX in term of automatic E-TTL operation, and is usually transparent to the user.

The 550EX has a wireless mode as well as multi-unit/group support so it's more flexible in term of location placement(s). The built-in will always be part of the camera and shoot straight (ie no bounce available), or manual control overide. There's also a stroboscopic function to freeze action sequences... on the 550EX!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 1:24 PM   #3

Maybe you meant this when you said "manual control override", but another thing is that you have more convient controls over the flash's settings. They are all there on the back of the 550EX. That is part of the reason you buy it over the 420EX (I think that is the model.) It doesn't have the fancy controls on the back.

I actually just got the 550EX yesterday, but I haven't done anything other than test fire it to prove it works (to some extent.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 5:44 PM   #4

Take a look at this: http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html Especially the (long) writeup over here is very interesting reading: http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Based on that last article I was thinking the 420EX is better for my needs than the 550EX.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:09 PM   #5

Quite possible.

The only reason I got the bigger one is that I wanted the longer range and not deal with some of the "off by 2/3 stop" funnyness I've read when using non-OEM flashes. I don't know enough to risk throwing myself off like that.

I really could use as much range as I can get. When I get a flash extender, the manual settings on the 550 will come in handy. Right now, I doubt I'll use them (heck, I won't know how until I read the 126 page manual!!! 126 pages for a flash?!?!?!)

Eric
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:09 AM   #6

Hi Eric,

Yes, the sheer number of features of the 550EX scared me! Better carry that manual with you wherever you go :-)

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 4:21 AM   #7
NHL

Quote:
(heck, I won't know how until I read the 126 page manual!!! 126 pages for a flash?!?!?!)
Actually type A camera (E-TTL) ends @ page 84.... The rest are for the older type B (ie all others EOS/TTL)! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 1:58 PM   #8

Ya, I saw that I don't have to read all of it last night.

But it still frightens me. And I will most certainly be bringing that manual with me all the time!!!

Eric