Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2003, 10:16 PM   #21

I'll probably be going with the digiRebel as soon as I can unload some stuff on eBay. With the house remodeling the only place the wife will let me spend money without question is Home Depot. I'll probably get the 15-55 EF-S lens if for no other reason I can sell the body and lens as a package a year from now when I move up to the DSLR I really want. I'm looking forward to seeing some real world test shots as the bundled lens may not be so bad, particularly for portraiture. My favorite lens now is my 85mm F2.0 NIkkor so I'll probably get a 50mm f1.4. Of course I like my 24mmf 2.8 and that will be more expensive to duplicte for the 1.6 crop factor.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:06 AM   #22

About the camera body and silver color. With close up macro, body color and shine may matter and only in a few situations (the famous bee on flower is not likely to reflect the silver body parts ;-)
On the otherhand when shooting photographs of city life the look of camera influences people behaviour and might in worst scenario provoke criminal reactions. Pulling a profressional looking camera in a crowd makes passengers go into silly duckwalks or freeze to avoid ruining your shot. Working patiently on camera settings with such camera is near to creating a scene because this effect. Ergo summ, maybe the silver cheap looking body helps people to walk into the picture (just like with simple point and shoot cameras).
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:34 AM   #23

I think it's a bit sad! So many people have squeezed their wallets to buy the 10D and now Canon comes with this camera, so similar to the 10D and at a very low price. It must somehow be very frustrating using all that money on a 10D and now see the resale value go down the drain!
I like the technical progress (and cheap digicams too), but they really must be laughing their buts of at Canon. (-and soon Nikon, when they annonce their low-budget competitor to the 300).

Hmm...
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 4:03 PM   #24
NHL

I don't see it that way... actually it's very smart from Canon!

They are trying here to capture the whole dSLRs market with several entries with each model targeting a different segment! I don't think this 300D/Rebel can compete effectively against a D100 even though they both have the same polycarbonate body, can you? A 10D would do very well indeed (and will keep the E1, SD9 and *ist @ bay as well)!

This is very much like the D7i and D7Hi marketing model:
1. The 10D has a more sturdy metal body.
2. The 300D only has 4 frames buffer whereas the 10D can go up to 9 frames before the camera lock out!
3. One can customize the 10D with up to 17 Custom Functions where none exist on the 300D, ie AF points recall, raw + jpeg combination, programmable buttons...etc.
4. Flash bracketing is not on the 300D (or color balance)
5. AF mode: AI servo, AI focus, and One shot AF modes are not indepently selectable, but available through an inflexible program wheel.
... and many more features/details, but you can see how that $500 difference between the 300D and 10D get or won't get the buyer!

What'll happen is people who would normally buy a point & shoot will squeeze their wallet for the 300D, and someone who can afford a 300D would scrape their purse for the 10D (other folks like me who already has the 10D eyes the 1Ds)... In the meantime Canon makes plenty of money selling all the lenses they could make (not that they can't keep up with the 10D production already)! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 5:09 PM   #25

Quite true. Before the 300D I did not consider buying a Canon camera as I (and shop advice) found all their prosumer models too slow in response. The Fuji S602 was almost bought but after the announcement of the S7000 and finding that a fast pocket camera was most urgent for me I bought a F601 instead and I planned to save up for S7000. Now I'm seriously considering the 300D as uplevel camera candidate. But I still have to see how both cameras perform especially on input response and high iso levels (it wouldn't be the first time were manufacturers fuck up in final model).
Old Aug 27, 2003, 5:41 PM   #26

NHL.

What I meant, was that the Canon 300D will press down the price, when you decide to buy the nex 20D (when it comes). Lots of people sell, including me, sells their used digicam, so they can afford the newest model.
The people who buys used 10Ds will surely consider buying a new 300D instead. This will press down the price on the used 10D.
Simple markeds economy IMO.
It was a bit what happenend when Nikon annonced the CP5000 and CP5700 and now 5400. The new models will always affect the used marked models.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 6:17 PM   #27
NHL

Klaus

You're right, that's why I don't like to sell my old gears but collect them intead (or collecting dust actually!) :lol:

I still kept my D7 BTW, if not for playing with IR shots (that my 10D can't do...)
Old Aug 27, 2003, 6:36 PM   #28

Concerning price drop of 2'hand cameras. Hasn't that problem been always around with most hardware? Film slr's were also once screaming expensive untill a manufacturer decided to produce a budget model. How many of you have started with this budget model film slr? Do you feel bad about it? Ofcourse this a unbalanced example because film cameras are much like music intruments, professional models maintain a certain value. Meanwhile digital cameras are subject to rapid hardware progression.

The price now on the Rebel 300D is about the same as once the Ixus 2mP pocket camera costed 3 years ago. Did you ever hear 2 Mp camera owners cry that their expensive gems became next to nothing? Buying a digital camera is also an investment in future innovation. You decided to buy a professional digital camera now and use it. It is unreal to blame Canon for progress and produce a starter Dslr. Next you can move up to a 12 mp camera.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 8:58 PM   #29

> Concerning price drop of 2'hand cameras. Hasn't that
> problem been always around with most hardware?

Nah, you just need to wait long enough. I've been selling
off most of my 20-year-old A-1 35mm gear on eBay, after
discovering that there's a solid market for that stuff at
surprisingly high prices.

On the other hand, when I finally do move to a dSLR,
I expect that my current 3-year-old 2Mp digicam will be
close to worthless. Depreciates like fresh fruit. And...

Like they say in MBA school, the 300D is the
"pirate ship sailing into the yacht club".
The $2K+ dSLR makers are abandoning their
martinis while the 300D cannonballs whiz past
their ears.

Everything has changed.

I had some time ago arbitrarily decided that 6Mp was
film-equivalent (to 35mm). It's not, or course, but it's
close enough that with the 300D intro at sub$1000,
silver-halide is now for all practical purposes dead.

Few wanna-be photogs will invest in new 35mm now.
35 will survive, but as a niche market. Heck, people
still do 8x10 too, but niche is niche.

No one will enter the market for 35mm with new
mass-market SLR cameras. Convenience beats
capability every time, and digital photography
has convenience to spare.

Further, the market for dSLR is irrevocably changed
with this intro, which is fine with me, even if I don't
buy a 300D.

> It is unreal to blame Canon for progress ...

I sold a 500mm FD reflex last week, just before the 300D
was announced. Because the rf500 can focus beyond
infinity, I'll bet it could be used on a 300D with one of
those FD-EF adaptor rings. Had I waited just a few days,
I would not have auctioned it [yet]. The pain of progress,

Well, at least the A-1 auctions will pay for the dSLR.
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:21 PM   #30
NHL

... Well some folks can never let go (sentimental value I guess)!
I still have my A-1, and the other day I just bought a 45CT-5 flash with matching red LED digital display... (even though I already got a newer Canon 550EX) :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW Canon is no dummy, beside the differences that I already mentioned above, they also left out flash exposure compensation and rear curtain sync on the 300D. So for anyone who values theses features, the 10D is still the way to go for $500 more!