Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 28, 2003, 3:34 AM   #31

Mathilde:
Quote:
Buying a digital camera is also an investment in future innovation.
Yeah right and that's one of the reasons, why you buy digicams! C'mon! Get real! I believe it's the facts - but not the reason why anybody buy a digicam.

It is the highspeed electronic marked and the still lower prices that becomes the problem - it's the consumers dilemma, that's all.
The speed of the progress is so high, because we're only in the early days of digicams. And this will never find it's limitations, but it will some days do so little progress (progress - that means something to the consumer) that it will fade. I mean - how many pixels do you actually need and how sharp can the glass become ? Hmm....we can only guess and in the meanwhile we're gonna PAY!

[/url]
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 7:45 AM   #32
NHL

Here's an idea... (which might not work for people like me who collects antiques)

May be some wise MBA @ Canon has already figured this out, but why don't they start a lease program a` la luxury cars? after all their 1Ds cost as much as one! Theses guys seem to be brilliant (... if not for the 10D, the D100, et al will still be priced over $2k)!

See most folks will want a new camera after theirs are obsoleted in 1-2 years (like Klaus/Boundless here who sold the old to paydown the new). A lease program would be hassle free since everyone will be paying less and only for the time they use the camera! It's a win-win situation: the customers get a new camera every 1-2 years, and the manufacturers get to sell their cameras a 2nd time around and also control the price of the used camera market (and even make some extra by bundling in a warranty just like used-cars serviced/checked by the factory)! :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 3:33 PM   #33

Two questions.. (one really stupid/ignorant)

First, how much is the add on grip/battery pack? based on reviews of other dSLRs, this may be a very worthwhile accessory.

Now, the dumb ignorant question.. I used to shoot 35mm SLR. A Pentax. To set the aperature, you twisted a ring on the lens, just like I twisted a lens to foucs and zoom. But I see this lens, (and other modern lenses for modern cameras) has no aperature ring. How do I set it? Am I jsut too old-school to want an aperature ring on the lens?
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 4:41 PM   #34
NHL

Quote:
First, how much is the add on grip/battery pack? based on reviews of other dSLRs, this may be a very worthwhile accessory.
You first remove the battery, then the battery grip will insert a stand-off inside the compartment to make contact with the base (where the other two battery reside)! The battery on theses cameras usually last a long time, so unless you shoot a lot or want to add more weight to balance the camera out I would recommend against it... :lol:

Quote:
Now, the dumb ignorant question.. I used to shoot 35mm SLR. A Pentax. To set the aperature, you twisted a ring on the lens, just like I twisted a lens to foucs and zoom. But I see this lens, (and other modern lenses for modern cameras) has no aperature ring. How do I set it? Am I jsut too old-school to want an aperature ring on the lens?
There's a wheel next to the shutter to input the various aperture. On the 10D, there's a rear wheel as well... and on the 300D you have to push another button before turning the wheel. 8)
Old Aug 29, 2003, 5:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
There's a wheel next to the shutter to input the various aperture. On the 10D, there's a rear wheel as well... and on the 300D you have to push another button before turning the wheel. 8)
OK.. Hmmm.. Sounds like where the shutter speed wheel ought to be. Where is *that* wheel?

PS you can tell it's been a long time since I've used a 35mm SLR, can't you?
Old Aug 29, 2003, 6:07 PM   #36
NHL

The black wheel is next to the shutter release!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/canon/eos300d-top.jpg
Old Aug 30, 2003, 1:45 AM   #37

Does the 300D have a histogram mode? I love the histogram mode on my 10D. If an area is over-exposed I immediately know. Dial in a stop, or higher shutter speed, and re-take the shot.

Not having custom functions sounds like a major drawback to me. I'm using several of them on my 10D.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 6:40 AM   #38
NHL

Quote:
Does the 300D have a histogram mode? I love the histogram mode on my 10D. If an area is over-exposed I immediately know. Dial in a stop, or higher shutter speed, and re-take the shot.
It's still there on the 300D in the playback mode, and just like the 10D it will also highlight the overexposed areas... BTW for folks who complained of slow progressive playbacks on the 10D, the display with the histogram enabled is relatively instantaneous (and so are the reviews with the zoom enabled)!

Actually the 300D does have something extra over the 10D, an optional inexpensive RC-5 keychain remote (you'll need a more expensive LC-4 wireless controller on the 10D)!
Old Aug 30, 2003, 12:25 PM   #39

Histogram in playback mode is a pain to use. First you have to hit the play button, then wait for the image to display, then hit the info button. I've set my 10D to display the histogram when displaying the preview no button presses and delays in this case. Surely hope you can do something like that on the 300D as well.

NHL, faster playback on the 300D is a great improvement!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 10:49 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
The black wheel is next to the shutter release!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/canon/eos300d-top.jpg

Uhh... OK.. I'm still a bit lost.. Does that wheel do BOTH? What if I am in full manual mode? Can I not adjust both settings without some how changing the mode of the wheel.