Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:07 AM   #11
NHL

-> Easiest solution: Do not mix the lighting!

Use the gold reflector on the flash so the lighting is somewhat at the same colour temperature:
http://www.lumiquest.com/lq931.htm

... and set the camera for custom WB or somewhere near the 3300K mark and not for daylight! :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:37 AM   #12

Sorry guys....I am a bit confused...I have looked at Eddys shot and personally, I dont see a problem...Not as he described it anyway...Look at the white ribbons on the pews...Yep, they are white...The skin color on the minister isn't bad either...The brides dress is ivory...What I do see is yellowish tiles on the floor, the typical yellowish color to the wood on the pews...Am I missing something here??All good advise given to Eddy, but I don't see a real problem......Good Shot Eddy....:G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:46 AM   #13
NHL

Do you use a CRT or LCD?
-> the white runner on the floor change from white up close to yellow further away in the original
(the color of the tiles are also changing midstream up the aisle... out of flash coverage)

BTW you can also see the runner change (white to yellow) in the edited picture
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:36 AM   #14

I agree with NHL on this. Close to the camera the main light is flash and it goes deeper in the power of the flash fell off and it turned to ambient.
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:48 AM   #15

Most important is the ability to adapt conditions and timing of events.

The white on the Alar fabric is clearly visible.

The tungsten coloration is quite normal and very likely what was viewed by those present. ( I am referring to my adjusted image ).

To capture the 'best' image, an off camera main flash would be required.

Ed's orginal image is full of light reflected back to the sensor which it seems only i took note of.
No big deal.The real problem in shots like this is on camera flash.

They will treasure the image. Good shot.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:30 PM   #16
Super Moderator

The main point is that with mixed lighting sources accurate colour becomes impossible.

So you have a few options, use multiple flash sources that overwhelm the ambient lighting.

Use filters to match the ambient as NHL suggests.

This location looks like the main sources are incandescent, but if you have a mixture of flourescent, incandescent and daylight then you either have to blast the abient away with multiple flash sources or simply accept some colour inaccuracy or alternatively go B&W which a lot of wedding photographers will do where they cannot get a consistent colour temperature.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:47 PM   #17
NHL

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
The tungsten coloration is quite normal and very likely what was viewed by those present. ( I am referring to my adjusted image ).
It's not normal at all!!!

Two things can lead to this normalcy:
1. The monitor is not calibrated
2. An LCD flat panel will less likely show this color cast than a CRT
(i.e. if you don't see it, it's not your fault because your display can also act as a filter)

-> The best is to print it out on paper where you'll see how off he tint is even on the original :idea:
anything can be white (i.e. don't look for the white but rather the skin tone...)

Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:39 PM   #18

It is even worst on the print out by printer. Here is how the picture look after modification. Does anyone know how to correct the skin color with RAW file and AWB? Please advise. Thanks all for your inputs.
Attached Images

eddyfurukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:08 PM   #19

Is it me or are some shouting???

Very Un-Steve's Digicams.

I put my 2 cents into Ed's image.

I believe I gave him solid photographic info related to his question.

'Over-coming existing light with flash' is nonsense to state it politely'.

I have obtained true color on thousands of images on my Laptop, a CRT is not a requirement.

Ed, may I suggest that your second image adjustment is more perhaps what you want the image to be as opposed to what the scene actually was.

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:39 PM   #20
NHL

eddyfurukawa wrote:
Quote:
It is even worst on the print out by printer.
Exactly my point...

-> Not everyone 'see' the same in this forum as everyone's monitor has its own set of tint unless it's calibrated. Here are the 3 pictures posted and they all have a different color cast which you can compare with the absolute white being the right border with the lettering:

-> Clearly the last picture is the most correct (if in doubt get a print made) - if not then you need to adjust your monitor. A flat panel LCD screen (my laptop included) will have the most problem displaying all this cast since its backlit by a not so white LED plus the color would change as you look from side to side

Quote:
Does anyone know how to correct the skin color with RAW file and AWB? Please advise. Thanks all for your inputs.
Many ways to do this, but since you've shot in manual pretty much all your pictures will have the same setting. I would create an action in Photoshop and record all the steps that you have fixed in your last IMG_8373a image and use it as a batch to run through a directory with all your pictures in it...