Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 18, 2007, 3:34 PM   #1

I used following equipments for my friend wedding picture, but the photos come out very yellow color either day in night times. I don't know why, here is the list

1. Canon 20d - M mode, F4, 1/80s, ISO400 -->ISO800, AWB, color sRGB, 5200K, set2 with everything at middle except maximum for sharpness.

2. Canon 24-105mm 4L with canon sharpe cut L39 filter

3. Canon 580 flash with TTLII setting automatic

I can reduce the yellowwith the photoshop software by adding the cooling82 filter. Is it the right way to do? is there anyway to avoid this yellow issue?

Also, everytime I take picture with AWB, the RAW file makes the people skin look very funny, something like a death people skin color, any ideas how to correct it?

Please help. Thanks all in advance

eddyfurukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2007, 4:15 PM   #2
NHL

eddyfurukawa wrote:
Quote:
1. Canon 20d - M mode, F4, 1/80s, ISO400 -->ISO800, AWB, color sRGB, 5200K, set2 with everything at middle except maximum for sharpness.
Something is not right...
i.e. ISO400 or ISO800?
AWB or 5200K not both?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 4:15 PM   #3

eddyfurukawa,

Welcome to steve's.

With out seeing your picture, but with the info given, I would say the white balance is off. AWB works very well for outside shots but not always so well inside. If you shoot in RAW your RAW software can correct this pretty easily.

Check your manual for setting a custom white balance for your lighting conditions. It is pretty easy and works well.

As for Post Processing them, just fiddle with them in your software program. you may also post an example in this forum or in the extreme makeover forum for more advice.

Hope this helped, at least a little.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 4:55 PM   #4
NHL

Actually if you do set for AWB or 5200K which is daylight and you're shooting @ ISO800 1/80s and f/4 the ambient light might just be too bright for the 580EX flash to overcome hence the yellow tint in the pictures - An L39 is just a UV filter
-> The camera is set for more incandescent ambient light fill than flash :idea:
(AWB will detect the flash and also set the camera to daylight)

Either decrease the ISO, increase the shutter speed or the aperture to lessen the yellow tint of ambient (make the flash work harder - i.e. more light from the flash)
One way to detect this is the EV scale below the viewfinder -2..-1..v..+1..+2 - It was probably close to the center indoor correct?
-> For daylight setting you want the marker at least 1EV toward the left side of the scale otherwise the flash barely turns on
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:41 PM   #5

Sorry not clear enough about the question.

I set AWB either day or night time. Sometimes I use ISO400 or 800 depending on how dark is the environment. I set almost maximum for EV, not at center.

I almost use F4 and 1/80s on time.

Do you think because of the lens? or the camera setting? I tried to use the white balance before but not to sucessfully that's why I use AWB. I always have the skin issue with RAW file, can you please show me more details how I can correct it. I will post the picture later. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:35 PM   #6

Where's the Beef? .....Oops...meant... Where's the Image?

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:40 PM   #7

Here is the picture. I even have some pictures even yellow than this. I can fix it by adding cooling filter on it. Is it possible to prevent it in the future? please help, thanks
Attached Images

Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:51 PM   #8
NHL

Was there some overhead video light as well?
-> This is clearly not the illumination from one 580EX alone (i.e. it can't be this even and went that far back!) - You're mixing the lighting

See the light from the painting and the walls (both on ceiling and columns) they are clearly incandescent plus you're shooting @ 1/60s @ ISO800, the blue daylight from the 580EX flash is barely contributing to the overall lighting @ all back there (by the painting for example) - The 580EX light will fall off with distance unless you have multiple heads... placed up there. The large up close white areas is also telling the camera to turn down on the flash output

IMO next time if you still shoot @ f/4, 1/60s (ISO800) you can turn off the flash and do a custom white balance (probably around 3300K) and everything will be fine (or shoot in RAW with the flash off)

-> If you do shoot at 5200K then decrease the ISO (or increase the shutter speed and/or aperture) so the ambient light is no more contributing to the lighting then the flash can do its (daylight) job

eddyfurukawa wrote:
Quote:
... I set almost maximum for EV, not at center
This is your problem - Maximum EV means ambient lighting i.e. the camera does not measure the flash before it fired (on the Mrk series there's a 2nd scale for the flash fire but not on the 20D) :O
-> The lesser the EV scale the less light from the incandescent ambient (yellow tint) and the more flash (daylight blue) will fill in automatically... at the expense of more shadows and darker background (unless you use multiple 580EX's for that large room)
Old Sep 19, 2007, 6:15 AM   #9

eddyfurukawa wrote:
Quote:
Here is the picture. I even have some pictures even yellow than this. I can fix it by adding cooling filter on it. Is it possible to prevent it in the future? please help, thanks
Hi Eddyfurukawa,

Your shot is well composed and I don't see a 'yellow' picture as you do.

I adjusted your image with Levels and Shadow/Hightlight in Photoshop Elements 4.

The colors are accurate ( considering I did not see the original scene ),

Most of the lighting is from your flash. It seems you Spot metered the couple or Center-weighted them, this caused your flash to increase output which, coming directly from your camera, over-exposed the white carpet and the rear of the wood pews, picking up their color and bouncing it back to your sensor, washing out your image.

Here is my try at adjusting your image:

I am sure the couple will treasure your capture of their special moment.

Regards,

Nicholas

Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:57 AM   #10
NHL

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
The colors are accurate ( considering I did not see the original scene ),
-> Is your monitor calibrated?
Your adjusted picture is even warmer showing sign of redness now....

Quote:
Most of the lighting is from your flash.
Rather unlikely based on the inverse square law - The light from the flash will decrease with distance i.e. the flash intensity can't be the same up front where the shadows on the flowers are as way back there by the groom and bride (No shadow)! It should be much darker if not for the surrounding light
-> Plus the flash is at the 28mm setting based on the EXIF so the fall-off should be even more acute

Quote:
It seems you Spot metered the couple or Center-weighted them, this cause your flash to increase output which, coming directly from your camera, over-exposed the white carpet and the rear of the wood pews, picking up their color and bouncing it back to your sensor, washing out your image.
The poster use Manual with the help of the EV scale:
eddyfurukawa wrote:
Quote:
... I set almost maximum for EV, not at center
i.e. He set the exposure based on the ambient light albeit @ some -EV compensation and the rest is filled by the flash which will not go very far determined by the WA on the lens (28mm)!