Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 1, 2007, 1:04 PM   #1

I am thinking of upgrading from my Canon 30D to the 40D.Anyway,for those of you who used to own or have any experiences with the Canon 30D and have upgraded or had any experiences with the Canon 40D,could you please describe to me the improvements of the 40D over the 30D?Were there any significant improvements?How does the image quality of the 30D as compare to that of the 40D?Lastly,was it worth upgrading to the Canon 40D from the 30D?
Thanks.

Killer Angel
Killer Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:08 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Another question to put in herefor you is what do you want from the camera that the 30D is not giving you? What sort of shooting do you do, what size are you printing at, etc etc?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:58 AM   #3

My 20D died the middle of July. With rumors flying about a replacement for the 30D coming "soon", I bought a refurb 30D to use until the 40D was available.
The 30D was slightly nicer than the 20D. The 40D is slightly nicer than the 30D. My main concern is image quality, and there is no great increase in IQ. The larger screen is very nice and 6.5 frames a sec is nice, if you need it. I like the menue layout much better.
Bottom line - if you are looking for a nice increase in IQ, don't spend you money. If the other improvements are worth it to you, go for it.
BTW, I do like the camera.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:12 AM   #4

Remember the old days of film cameras? The days when you would buy a nice film camera and just buy film and batteries for it. Now it seems like everyone wants or needs the latest camera and almost seems like you buy cameras at the same rate as batteries for that old EOS A2E.

Upgrading from a 30D to a 40D would be a lot like going from a 20D to a 30D and a 10D prior to that. It really isn't much of an upgrade and I don't think would be the best thing to do. The 30D is a fine camera that is capable of gorgeous photos. One thing to keep in mind is have you outgrown the camera or do you just want the extra 2MP and a larger LCD?

In my opinion, an upgrade from a 30D would be a 5D or even a 1D Mark II S III N (Pick one). Another thing to keep in mind, perhaps using the $1300 to buy new glass might just do the trick. Megapixels, shutter speeds and LCDs can only take you so far, I would put a lot of thought into this first.

Again, these are just my opinions. I am not trying to call anyone out on skills or anything of the sort, just something to think about.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:31 PM   #5

gee I am glad I read this...I will wait until I can afford the 5D
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:53 AM   #6

Ok, this is actually happening. I ordered the 30D from B&H photo a few days ago. But it is a Jewish holiday and they are closed until Sunday. which means that they won't process my order until this coming Sunday. I went on Canon's website to look at fixed focal lenses (I do a lot of studio work and I currently own the 20D) and low and behold, I just found out that they now have a 40D. what I don't understand is that Canon is boasting the sensor as being the same exact size as 35mm. But it also says that there is 1.6 lens conversion factor like the 20D & 30D, is that correct? Honestly, I like the extra mm, I am into telephoto lenses b/c I shoot a lot of candid models for PR and portfolios so I like to be as far from the models as possible. Plus I alreadyhave two of their EF-S lenses.

My question is, should I just change my order from the 30D to the 40D? And, does the 40D have the same 1.6x conversion factor like the 20D and 30D? Money isn't a problem, and I like the idea of the sensor cleaning on the 40D, but is there any reason that I should stick with the 30D over the 40D?
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 2:12 AM   #7
Super Moderator

The 40D is a much bigger upgrade compared to the 30D than the 30D was to the 20D.

Buy it if you can afford it.

The sensor is still a 1.6 crop (not the same size as 35mm).

They may have got some of the promo material mixed up on the website (or possibly you misread) with the 1DsMkIII.

For my part though I'm going for a software upgrade to my 5D until they bring out the 5D Mk II or I finally decide to get myself a Mamiya 7II. :P

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/dxo_op..._5_coming_soon
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:54 PM   #8

I still have my 30D, but with my 40D I've noticed a few things- some great and some not so much.

First, low light/high ISO images seem to have noticeably less noise from my 40D which for me is a big deal being an indoor sports shooter.

The higer 6.5fps frame rate alone was worth it for me since I don't have the budget for the 1D yet but still need to improve my odds of capturing the right moment.

The custom functions are layed out in a different manner which at first I didn't like, but after having used it for a while I like the way they are grouped much better.

The 40D also helps keep you from accidentally deleting all the pics on your CF by moving the delete all pics to a different part of the menu. This is only really a benefit if you are editing out bad pics in camera against the advice of most pros.

The color processing is markedly better on the 40D as well, and there seems to be some slighter better image sharpness on the 40D with both cameras set to their default settings.

The 40D offers auto ISO in the creative modes which may be good for some shooters.

Although the 40D's screen is much larger, I noticed images displayed on it seem much farther from the actual photo than images on the 30D's screen compared to shots taken on it. I would often check the lighting or focus of previous images on my 30D's screen, however with the 40D I found images that looked poorly exposed on the screen seemed to be fine when download to the computer. This was a big issue for me but I've since learned how the camera performs at certain ISO and exposure settings so I really just look for focus and composition to make sure I captured the elements I wanted.

Hope this helps.
skidemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:17 AM   #9
RJR

Killer Angel wrote:
Quote:
I am thinking of upgrading from my Canon 30D to the 40D.Anyway,for those of you who used to own or have any experiences with the Canon 30D and have upgraded or had any experiences with the Canon 40D,could you please describe to me the improvements of the 40D over the 30D?Were there any significant improvements?How does the image quality of the 30D as compare to that of the 40D?Lastly,was it worth upgrading to the Canon 40D from the 30D?
Thanks.

Killer Angel
I upgraded from the 30D to the 40D and have been surprised because there have been more things that I feel that have been improved then I anticipated.

Some of the things I like better:

Better more acurate flash performance with all lenses on built in flash and my 430EX

Quieter shutter

Bigger LCD with better menus

The Live View works great and is easy to use

Faster focus

Automatic Sensor cleaning

There are additional small things but all in all I am very pleased with my decision to upgrade. Ended up costing me about $300 after selling the 30D on Ebay but I feel it was well worth it and would do it again in a minute. I have found nothing that I feel was lost and so far I have felt that noise in the few hundred photos I have taken is about the same as the 30D.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote