Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:29 AM   #1

Canon 20D vs. Canon 40D or 5D

Howdy. I am the 20D with a 28-135 lens and have been happy with. I've seen a little information on the 40D, and am curious if upgrading to a 40D would make any sense. I haven't seen the 40D review posted here yet. (I am not a pro by any means). Has anyone made this upgrade? Who has a 40D and what are your thoughts please?

Thanks!

kbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:23 AM   #2

I am trying to make the switch. If you happen to have read my other posts, you would know that I didn't even know that the 40D existed, but I needed another body (I currently own the 20D with the 17-85mm lens -which I love). So, I got on B&H's website. I exclusively shop there, and have been doing so since 1987 back when they were a little hole in the wall operation. They also were extremely mean, customer service, ha! They knew they were the cheapest in town and they were very unhelpful. Luckily that has all changed, and they are so friendly, and have excellent customer service. So I purchased the 30D online with the lens you have b/c it came with the kit. Luckily it was a Jewish holiday and the order wouldn't have been processed for a week, and within that time I visited the Canon website and saw the 40D. First off, the fact that the camera can clean its own sensor is worth its money right there. I don't know if you are good at sensor cleaning, but I always had my 20D professionally cleaned being that I was always in an out of pro shops anyway, it was worth the $35. You also have a 2 mp increase, which doesn't seem that much, but it does make a difference, esp. if you are cropping (I crop a lot being the nature of my photography). Also the autofocus is much faster, and totally revamped. Also you can look thru the LCD "live", in other words, before you take the picture you can see it in the LCD as well as the viewfinder, the 20D you would have to look thru the viewfinder, only. The LCD screen is much bigger in the 40D it is 3inches as opposed to 1.8inches in the 20D. Also the quality of the LCD was terrible in the 20D. That was the first thing they did in the 30D was to improve the quality of the LCD being that the colors were terrible, so it was hard to color balance, etc. Also, the 40D is shooting at 7.5 fps, which is amazing. And I think it can capture like 70 JPGs cnsecutively. My 20D would start getting really slow in capturing after 4 or 5 and I think it only did 9 photos before it stopped. I do know that in the 30D (one of the improvements over the 20D, they allowed you to choose how fast you captured your images. Like 2 fps, 4 fps or 5 fps. I am just giving an example. I hope the 40D has this feature also. Because in shooting candids, I don't usually need 7.5 fps. 3 or 4 fps is perfect in that situation. But if I am shooting sports I would love the 7.5fps. I know that the 40d also has custom setups, so you can set the camera 3 different ways and save it, and then just set it to one of the three, and switch on the fly. Also, Canon claims that the focusing speed is 30% faster than with the 20 or 30D. And they use new AF sensors. I hear also that it is much quieter. They are using a new image processor DIGIC III. I believe that means that you get more color gradation, and also the processor is what alows capturing the photos quicker. One of the potentially negative things is that it is bigger and heavier than the 20/30D.

Another feature is Auto ISO. Some people, esp amateurs love this feature. I will see once I get my hands on the camera. Back to my story, quickly. I called B&H on their first day back to switch my order from the 30D to the 40D (i think it was a $200 difference, but for me, the auto sensor cleaning would pay for itself within the year!). And I found that the 40D is completely out of stock. Everyone wants this camera. I saw that Ritz had it in stock but for like $500 more. Butterfly photo shows it in stock at the same B&H price, and I have bought a FZ30 from them (panasonic) and had no problems but I think I will wait for B& H to get it back in stock.

Hope this was helpful, you can also go to this site for a more indepth review with pictures, so you c an see for yourself the size difference (It doesn't look that much bigger):

http://rolandlim.wordpress.com/2007/...os-40d-review/
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:16 AM   #3

Thank you for your kind reply. I do believe that I will get the 40D. Now as to which lens to buy first. . . I think I will get the 24-105mm f/4L IS. I currently have the 28-135m f/4 IS and I like it a lot. I am waiting and watching for a good deal out there somewhere.

I really appreciate your information. Thank you!

Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:51 AM   #4

kbryan wrote:
Quote:
, and am curious if upgrading to a 40D would make any sense.
Kay,

If you're happy with the 20D, I'm not seeing why the upgrade makes much sense. What is it about your photography that the 20d is not helping you accomplish? Or do you just have the itch for a new toy (note: I don't mean that in a derrogatory way)?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:29 AM   #5

You sort of hit the nail on the head. . . I want a new toy and can't afford the real expensive ones. I did have a rebel before and I donated here when I got the 20D. I may do the same again once I upgrade.

I guess the best deals I've seen are on Ebay or on Dell with a 15% coupon. I'd kind of like to find a kit with the 24-105mm f/4L IS lens. . . Anyone hear of any really good (legitamate) deals out there?

Thank you for your replies.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:27 AM   #6

No deals just yet, but mid-October has been the traditional month here in the US for Canon to offer its verious rebate deals.

If you can, you may want to wait a couple of weeks and see what their deals are going to bring. They've already offered them in Europe and Canada (single and double rebates).
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:35 AM   #7
Administrator

I'm with JohnG. I don't see the need to upgrade from a 20D to a 40D. lol

Unless you're shooting sports, why not consider the 5D instead, and use your existing lens. I noticed where you said this:

Quote:
I think I will get the 24-105mm f/4L IS. I currently have the 28-135m f/4 IS and I like it a lot.
From my perspective, you'd have a wider angle of view with your 28-135mm on a full frame camera model, so you wouldn't need to buy a lens starting out wider with a 5D, and going that way (5D body only) would probably cost roughly the same as a 40D + new 24-105mm IS lens (that lens runs $1059 at B&H).

That would probably be a better upgrade (5D body only using your existing 28-135mm IS) unless you're shooting sports.

Yea, the L is the better lens. But, I'd probably go for the 5D instead of the 40D + lens combo with that kind of budget.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:42 PM   #8

The 40D is supposed to be a bigger upgrade than the 20D to 30D, that is mostly why I was looking at it. I really don't know anything about the 5Ds. Please tell me the main reasons for getting a 5D rather than a 40D (disregarding lenses at this point). Does it offer a lot more? Has it been out a long time? I need to look at the history of the 5D,- I have no 5D awareness. Of course, if an upgrade is on its way for the 5D, then the older models would start to drop in price and on and on and on. I want a new toy

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I will definately wait to see what sort of deals will be coming out (just gives me time save more money to spend!). Thank you to all.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:57 PM   #9
Administrator

You've got both higher resolution and larger photosites for each pixel with the 5D compared to the 20D, 30D or 40D.

The sensor is the same size as 35mm film. That means better dynamic range and lower noise and/or more detail since noise reduction algorithms found in models using smaller photosites impact detail.

Because of the larger sensor, that makes it easier to find lenses covering the wide end (without the larger size and higher distortion associated with ultra wide lenses needed for an equivalent angle of view on a model using an APS-C size sensor).

On the downside, you may have more corner softness with some lenses and if you're shooting sports, you may appreciate the narrower angle of view you get with a model using an APS-C size sensor.

We have a few shooters here with the 5D, that have also used the 20D/30D/40D models. So, they'll probably see this post and comment on pros and cons.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 1:13 PM   #10

Thank you for the explanation, that is very helpful. And I would like to hear from other readers. I did find a visual timeline - http://www.print-digital.info/articl...anon-dslr.html. Looks like the 5D came out a couple of years ago, so I do wonder if a newer version is on the horizon.

. . .much easier buying a pair of shoes.