Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:24 AM   #1

I recently purchased a used EOS Digital Rebel (DS6041) with BG-E1 battery grip that worked fine for a couple of days, but now refuses to power on. The last thing I did with the camera prior to this happening was to format a new 2Gb Lexar CF card using the camera's menu option. This was apparently successful, in that it did create an empty DCIM folder and subfolder. I may have left the camera ON after this formatting, but as far as I know, Auto-off was enabled. I also heard a "beep" sometime later that may have come from the camera (not sure) powering off or low battery signal.

Things I have tried:

Went through the operator's manual trouble-shooting guide, including fully reseating the CF card and ensuring card door is closed.

Fully recharged batteries (1-oem, 1-aftermarket) for 1-hour past 100% indication, placed in battery grip and re-attached to camera. I do not have the original battery cover, since it was not present on the camera nor was it stored in the grip. I did attempt inserting a single battery directly into the camera and carefully depressing the small pin that the battery cover would normally activate, without success.

I know the camera had the latest firmware already installed, and I have not connected it in any way to my pc or messed with drivers. As I stated, I successfully shot at least 100 frames using both 18-55 and 75-300 lenses (without needing to recharge batteries, so guessing they may not be the issue), used built-in flash and otherwise confirmed functionality before this problem occurred.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. Feel free to flame me if I described doing anything terribly stupid to cause this to happen.

Dennis

zibbledabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2007, 9:59 PM   #2

Wow, sorry to hear that! I'd be so mad if my original Rebel broke! See if you can't borrow that missing piece from a friend / camera shop to see if that does the trick.
hines91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:29 PM   #3

I think I may know what is causing the problem. In looking closely at the pins in the CF card slot in the camera, it appears there may be one or two adjacent pins that are bent/broken. Since the last activity I did prior to having the no-power problem was to format a new (Lexar Platinum II) card, I may have caused this or made a previous problem worse. Not sure if bent or broken pins can have this effect, but since I don't have the $$ to seek repair right now, it will have to wait. Funny thing is the same card(s) that have been in the camera work fine in my card readers. I've thought about taking things apart to get a closer look at the problem area, but I'm not that brave, nor do I know if I could remedy the apparent issue with the pins even if I could get to them easily. The other option is to part out the grip and lenses to recover some of my initial cost, then start over with a more current body.

hines91, thanks for the sympathy and suggestions.

Dennis
zibbledabbit is offline   Reply With Quote