Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:19 PM   #1

A few general questions about the 40D.

Can you select between 12 and 14-bit a/d? Or is it permanently set to 14-bit?

Once in 14-bit mode will you still get 6.5 fps? Or does the fps rate drop? Though, if the 40D is permanently set to 14-bit then obviously the fps will stay at 6.5. Just curious.

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:54 AM   #2

I just purchased the 40D, and I have been looking at the instruction manual, and I can't find the answer to your question. Do you have any hints as to where I should look in the instruction manual? I would be happy to help and I would like to know myself. Unfortunately, I am busy at work, I have the manual with me, but I can't read thru it, I have too much to do, but if you got a suggestion I could browse thru it. Let me know
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:15 AM   #3
Super Moderator

It's always 14-bit.

Both 12 and 14 bit images are encoded in a 16-bit address space anyway, so it's not taking up any extra space on disk or anything.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:49 AM   #4

And no, shooting in 14 bit does not decrease the fps. But, expect a bit slower with ai-servo depending on the circumstance.

Canon's focus system is a bit strange in ai-servo in that if there is no focus lock on the first shot the camera fires away at full blast. BUT, if the first shot has a focus lock the camera will constantly try to keep the lock and you can see slower results than 6.5.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:43 AM   #5
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Canon's focus system is a bit strange in ai-servo in that if there is no focus lock on the first shot the camera fires away at full blast. BUT, if the first shot has a focus lock the camera will constantly try to keep the lock and you can see slower results than 6.5.
-> You can overide the focus lock with C-Fn-21 on the 1D series (I don't know about the 40D though) to keep up the frames rate

However on the D300 (or Minolta/Sony too) you can set the AF/shutter priority independent of the AF modes... if you prefer to maintain the frame rate
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:00 PM   #6

Ok thanks guys. I asked because I read in the "preview" of the Nikon D300 that when it's set to 14-bit the fps drops from 6 fps to 2.5. Though that hasn't been confirmed yet with actual testing.

Maybe I should have tested that out when I had one in my hand yesterday. I was at the local annual photography show. Damn!!

I did get the 40D's "Sales Guide brochure". Didn't see any mention of reduced fps or if you could change the bit rate. So you're probably right.

Later guys.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote