Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:29 AM   #1

I am about to start a very exciting project in which I could really use the 28-300mm range. This is an "L" lens and it is supposed to be fantastic. I was wondering if there is anyone that has the lens and has used it with the 40D, or even the 30D or 20D? And if you have shot with the lens, are there any problems shooting all the way at 300mm or all the way down at 28mm? I have the 17-85mm EF-S lens for my 20D and it is very good. But I notice that at 17mm it looks a little fish-eye like. Which I like and use for an effect. But I am wondering what shortcomings a lens of this size (both physically and difference in mms) has.

Also, if you have this lens, no matter what camera you have (also if you use it on a 5D or EOS 1D etc please let me know your opinion- I will update my camera with the lens if necessary) do you put a filter on it? And if so, which filter do you use? I am thinking along the lines of lens protection, like a UV filter or clear etc. I have heard that there are purists out there that don't believe in using filters. So I am wondering what people's opinion's are on this. I always bought the best glass, B&W multicoating, or I have the Hoya proMC something or other, it is thin and their top filter. But I would like to know what everyone's opinions' on this.
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:37 AM   #2

So....nobody has this lens????
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 6:51 AM   #3
NHL

Not too many people I'm afraid...

This lens caters to a very small niche of press reporters where changing lens is not convenient since you could loose the opportunity of taking a shot. It's also probably the best 28-300 lens around on a full frame camera, but on a cropped camera (i.e. 40/30/20/10D) it's too long at the wide to be useful as an all-in-one lens. Plus one would also need a flash because it's not a very fast lens for indoor...

Just like any jack of all trades it can't do everything as well as other dedicated lens - You can get much better 300 zooms which will outperform it in term of sharpness and weight. Yes - The 28-300L is not a light lens at all especially for indoor where one would need to go much wider than 28mm: for example many non-L "digital only" 17-50 f/2.8 zooms will do a much better job on a 40D - sharper, faster, and lighter

-> It's still the best 28-300 if that's what you want...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:10 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I saw one on a camera at the British Grand Prix a couple of years ago.

It's very big. Also has a push-pull zoom which isn't to everyone's taste.

With a 40D you'd probably find it easier and possibly cheaper to split the focal length across two lenses, maybe even if you had to buy two bodies.

Lens is £1500 and 1.7kg.

A 40D kit with 17-85 + 70-300 is only £1200, image quality would be higher too.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:13 AM   #5
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Lens is £1500 and 1.7kg.
Yeap - Imagine a 100-400L of the same design with a longer reach is "only" ~1.3kg

Quote:
maybe even if you had to buy two bodies
This makes more sense IMO :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote