Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:24 PM   #1

I'm just getting into photography and had a few dollars to buy a DSLR. I bought the Nikon D80 and was pretty satisfied with it. I mainly just take shots of family and friends. I then saw I could get the 40D for a couple of hundred dollars more so I took back the D80 and got the 40D. My images came out sharp every time with the Nikon D80 kit with the 18-135mm lens but I seem to have a problem getting the same results with the 40D. Some images seem blurred even with the IS on the 28-135mm lens. This is all automatic/camera defaults on both. The shutter is much louder on the 40D but that is not much of a problem. I'm just trying to get the same PQ that I got from the D80 I had. One thing I can give to Canon, the instruction booklet is better laid out than the Nikon. Maybe I just need to learn the camera, and suggestions?
hugabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:27 PM   #2

are you aware this is the canon area ?
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:24 PM   #3

Is tcamerageak wrote:
Quote:
are you aware this is the canon area ?
Is the 40D not a Canon?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:29 PM   #4

can you post some examples of pictures in question? That will help us identify what the problem might be.

Both kits you mentioned are very nice and the 40d and 28-135 is really a sharp lens so it should get you good results. Post some pics and we'll see what the problem might be.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:32 PM   #5

Ok, thanks. I'll get some up tomorrow.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 4:24 PM   #6

Man, I just need to learn everything about the 40D, out the box I cant seem to get a sharp picture unless I'm close. The pictures just arent sharp like the Nikon D80. In full auto, the darn thing just want to focus on a few focus point and not the whole screen like the D80. I need to take a few shots in Landscape to see what happens. Here are a couple of pictures downsized. Iv taken quite a few pictures with the Canon 40D in all modes but just cant seem to get the focus right. Right now it is set on A-DEP but I'v all types of setting including adjusting the shutter speed, ISO and some other things. I just cant get the same sharpness, not to mention color, that I did out of my Nikon D80. I'm sure its me but I just can't figure it out. I'M NOT TOO THRILLED WITH THE IQ.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 5:18 PM   #7
Administrator

Post some samples (using Save As versus Save for Web if you're using Photoshop to downsize them, so that the EXIF is not stripped out). That way, members can tell what camera settings were used (it's in a header built into the image files).

You can also use an editor like the free Irfanview to downsize them for posting here (under Image, Resize/Resample).

It may be something simple you can change to fix it. If your images are blurry, there is probably a reason for it.

For example, your shutter speeds may be too slow even with stablization for the lighting, ISO Speed, and focal length your using. There may be a difference in Auto ISO defaults between the camera models and you may need to change it.

Or, you may be shooting at wider apertures (smaller f/stop numbers) and you're just seeing a shallow depth of field. Or, your focus point may not be your intended subject. Or, what you're seeing is normal and just needs a touch of USM or higher sharpening settings.

It could be any number of things.

How to Post your Photos

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:04 PM   #8