Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:59 PM   #1

Looking for a flash for an XTi. I've heard to get the Sigma DG Super 500. I'm seeing Sigma EF 500 and the 530 super. Is there a place where I can see a comparison on all of these? And next to the canon models? Maybe the metz models as well?

I thought I knew what I wanted. Now there are so many models to choose from.
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:16 AM   #2

i have the sigma 500 DG super. If i were to buy a flash again i would stay away from this flash mainly for its flimsy body. The 430Ex is a lot better built than this flash.

By mistake i dropped my flash and it had stopped working. And the FP mode in this flash is sometimes really cranky and doesnt deliver the light we are hoping for.

Personally i would rather buy the 550 EX or the 580EX. or something thas built really well..

I have two vivtar 285HV flashes..they feel lot better and have complete manual controls. Though i use it mainly as remote flashes they serve me lot better than the sigma 550 DG super.

Its my personal feeling to not go for sigma flashes.

SIGMA lens's - Yes, Flashes- NO

Disclaimer- i may have had the worst copy of this flash..so i may be totally paranoid about this flash. :lol::shock::evil:
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:46 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I also have the Sigma 500DG Super and would not buy it again.

I think it's a good flash for people who are flash experts, having a good feature set at low price, but its manual is worse than useless and I found it to be very temperamental with the 20D. It's much better behaved with the 5D though.

I would go for one of the Canons if I had to choose again.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:33 AM   #4

I also have the Sigma 500 DG Super. I've been reasonably happy with the flash. But I will echo - the build quality is very disappointing. I've also had issues with the flash on occasion where it simply won't work - I need to take the batteries out and put them back in and things start working again. Not often - but it seems to happen at the worst times - like my son's baptism. I gave the camera to my brother-in-law and the flash pulled this trick. So we lost all the shots of the actual ceremony. I 'fixed' it before the posed shots afterward but I can't get those moments back.

If you're interested in a multi-flash setup I think this flash offers a great bang-for-the-buck.

But I'm contemplating buying the 580 for better build, better reliability and faster recycle times. A friend has the 430ex and while I want more power (and in my next flash better recycle times) than the 430 provides, I was impressed by how much better the build quality was.

So, if you want the best non-pro only (I believe Metz and some others offer even better flashes) I would go for the 580.

If you anticipate a multi-flash setup in your future and can't swing the 580 then go for the Sigma.

If you just want a flash better than you're built-in and you don't need vast power and quick recyle times or external battery packs (think wedding and sports shooters for these needs) then the Canon 430 would be my suggestion.

I agree with the other post - Sigma lenses are definitely good competitors for Canon but the flash not so much now.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:54 AM   #5

I have the Sigma - did a lot of research and it worked reasonably well on my 20D. I haven't used it with my 40D though.
The killer for me though is the # of flashes you can take before it cuts off. Only about 15 quick flashes and then it shuts down to prevent overheating. Not good for macro.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:10 PM   #6
NHL

Well I also have the Sigma 500DG Super, but my opinion may differ since I already hada 550EXwhen I bought the Sigma's to use as multiple heads... and now I have the 580EX as well as the 580EX-II

Notice I don't havea 430EX since it's power to me is not sufficiently high for my taste (GN of 43 vs 50 for the Sigma). The 430EX is only similar to the Sigma 500DG Super in price beyond that everything on the Sigma is superior from power output to features especially with regard to the external wireless sync to studio flash which is available now only on the 580EX-II... which costs quite a bit more...

This is like comparing an f/2.8 lens to an f/4-5.6!-> The extra power may not make a difference straight on but whenone bounces everyextra bit help plus it allows for longer range or smaller aperture so be aware that the 430EX is not a direct comparison for that apparent anecdotal build quality. Let see when someone drops a plastic flash with 4 heavy batteries inside on a concrete floor and see if it survive the crash... I doubt any of my flashes will regardless who it's made by :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:21 PM   #7
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
And the FP mode in this flash is sometimes really cranky and doesnt deliver the light we are hoping for...
This is the very nature of FP mode! :?

-> As soon as you switch to FP mode youare seriously degrading the flash output regardless ofbrand. Even worse as one increases the shutter speed, the flash distance is further compromise (i.e. the max distance varies with the shutter speeds)regardless even if it's the best 580EXout there :-)

hayden wrote:
Quote:
Is there a place where I can see a comparison on all of these? And next to the canon models? Maybe the metz models as well?.

The models number denotes their guide number (GN) or ratedoutput in meter...

430EX - GN 43 (Canon)

EF500DG - GN 50 (Sigma)

550EX - GN 55 (Canon)

580EX - GN 58 (Canon)

58AF - GN 58 (Metz)

-> As soon as one switch to FP mode theses GN drop as much as 1/2, to a fraction of their normal mode, with respect to the shutter speeds! This is quite critical for anyone using WA since the GN are aslo rated at the tele setting. @ the wide it's considerably less!!!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote