Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:21 PM   #11

NHL wrote:
Quote:
I don't know...

IMO Nikon made a pretty bold move with the D40/D40x - This camera made a lot of lenses obsolete but at the same time forced the manufacturers to follow!
Assuming of course you don't care about short fast primes.

It wasn't a 'bold move' - it was a cost cutting move. If it was a 'bold move' they would have removed the motor in ALL their cameras. And that doesn't even address the stripped-down focus system - or was that another 'bold move'?:G

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:58 PM   #12

But that beauty of that is..as long as you take good care of your lenses, you can turn around and more than likely sell it to someone else if you feel you've outgrown it. There are always newbies coming into photography that might be willing to take it off your hands.

Dani
afdani1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:11 PM   #13
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Assuming of course you don't care about short fast primes.

It wasn't a 'bold move' - it was a cost cutting move. If it was a 'bold move' they would have removed the motor in ALL their cameras. And that doesn't even address the stripped-down focus system - or was that another 'bold move'?:G
That's why "we" are poor marketeer...

By removing stuff Nikon has made the D40/D40x a best seller and overtook the lead from the Rebel: http://www.photoreporter.com/article...articleID=1650
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_128284.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 6:18 AM   #14

NHL,

Just because it's selling well doesn't mean it's a good purchase. It sold because it was priced low. That's the benefit of forums like this - getting honest advice - not "buy this because it's the biggest seller".

I'm guessing the canon 70-200 2.8 sells more units than the sigma 70-200

I'm guessing the Canon 400mm 5.6 sells more than the Tamron 80-400

I'm guessing the Canon 580 sells more than the sigma 500 DG super

And yet you consistently recommend the items that sell less. Why is that? If sales volume is the sole determiner of which product is better how could you possibly advise purchasing inferior products that don't sell as much ?

Or are you just in another "I hate Canon - so anything made by someone else is better " mood :blah: Just yanking your chain.

Back to reality - what Nikon is doing with the D300 is a bold move - giving the prosumer a very pro level camera. Stripping away functionality from the entry level camera (which forces the consumer to buy higher priced lenses) may be good marketing but it isn't good for the photographer in the target market IMO.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:31 PM   #15
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
... Stripping away functionality from the entry level camera (which forces the consumer to buy higher priced lenses) may be good marketing but it isn't good for the photographer in the target market IMO.
Unlike us "Pros or Experts" most of the photographers targeted for this market care less about fast primes or changing lenses!
-> The buyers in this segment just want a simple dSLR with if possible one all-in-one lens to replace their P&S, and why the 18-200 VR or the Sigma's 18-200 OS version are selling so well:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1187901361.html
"In the not very distant past, Nikon lagged considerably behind Canon in DSLR sales. That was then, this is now: Thanks in large part to the huge success of their D40 and D40x models, Nikon has actually catapulted ahead, and now enjoys a slight lead over Canon in unit sales. The graph above shows numbers for the Japanese market, but numbers I've seen recently for the US market tell much the same story."

Quote:
Or are you just in another "I hate Canon - so anything made by someone else is better " mood :blah: Just yanking your chain.
I guess I'm already married to Canon so I can't afford to be moody... :-)

-> I already have one of the best birding lens in the 500mm f/4 (with the Nikon version costing much more), but I don't mind fooling around with a D300 for example coupled to a Bigma or even the new Oly E3 which will give me more reach (and resolution) than what I already get with my Canon system. Theses new bodies will just complement my 1DMrkII and will give my 100-400L a much deserved rest...

If I go down the Nikon path, again I wouldn't opt for the Nikon optic either, I would instead pick the new Sigma 18-50 EX f/2.8 HSM which will cost much less. It's all about value and not about the hate of a brand: two lenses 18-50mm and 50-500mm all with HSM which will cover most of my need... I can then invest the difference in $ for the next better thing to come along be it from Sony (or Canon...) :G

It's also not about spending more either which I already did in my 85mm f/1.2L and 50mm f/1.4 fast primes which haven't seen much use lately since I don't get involve much in studio photography anymore!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote