Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:17 PM   #1

Well im in hopes of getting a canon xt as my first dslr around Christmas time, and i was wondering what people who own one think of it! What are the menus like and is the kit lens very good or not?

I have a canon eos rebel t2 which is the film version..it has a Canon EF 28-90mm 1:4-5.6 lens on it which i plan to put on the camera if i am to just buy the body kit, it is a very nice lens but i want to get some feedback on the kit lens (buying from newegg which is the normal 18-55mm)

thanks.

and one more question, how fast are the menus?...are they laggy?..or very fast to do what you click? because i have a wimpy 4 year old point and shoot that is quite laggy and very annoying which i definately want to stay away from!
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:52 PM   #2

I recently bought one, also my first slr, and Im enjoying it. I don't find the menus laggy at all. I bought mine with the kit lens included, and it's a good lens to start with. It has some telephoto and some wide, fits well into the range that most people shoot in.

Im still playing and learning with mine..but I enjoy the Auto DOF setting. My boyfriend is deployed, and it helps when I take self portraits to send to him. I find the images straight out of the camera are a tad soft, but that all depends on the lens..or so I'm told, and it's nothing that can't be fixed in PP. It has good contrast and color. Overall, a good investment, and seeing as you already have a lens that will work with the camera..you won't be disappointed..I hope

Dani
afdani1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 3:49 AM   #3

Hello Xiggy,

I have had my Canon 350D for about 2 years, it has taken about 35,000 - 40,000 photos. It is my first DSLR (though I had a fair bit of experience with film & digital P&S cameras before that).

My opinion is that it's a great camera, image quality is fantastic (for 99% of photos the same as 400D, and other brand similar entry level cameras). In fact for most photos people can't tell the difference between the 350D and other more expensive DSLRs.

I don't find the 350D menu's fiddly. My digital P&S cameras (e.g. Fuji Finepix F601) had MUCH more annoying& slow menu systems. I change ISO, white balance, active focus point very easily and quickly.. only took a few days of using it for me to get very familiar with it.

Yes, the kit lens is a good starting point. Go for it! "OK" to "good" sharp wide open, "good" to "very good" when stopped down to say f8 or more. I have a few other lenses though, to expand the possibilities.

I guess the main "gripe" I have about the 350D is that it's focussing on my 50mm f1.8 isn't very reliable (accuracy wise). And sometimes in extremely low light on other lenses. But it is still much better than my p&s's.

All the best. Hope my thoughts / experience are helpful!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback, i am really looking forward to getting this camera because everyday i see a good photo which just gets at me because i knw i dont have the right tools yet lol! thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 8:14 PM   #5

I had my XT for two years now. I had the 18-55mm kit lens. It is good enough for the photos I was taking. I bought the DSLR mostly for its speed. My P&S wasn't keeping up with my little non-stationary fast moving kids. P&S shutterlag, long power up, weak flash and long flash recycle times were causing me to miss shots. I didn't find the menus fiddy.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:47 PM   #6

I have had my XT for two years. It is very reliable and takes excellent pictures. The 8mB is plenty, even with cropping. Contrary to what you might read, I have used the 70-300mm IS lens and even the 100-400mm IS L lens with no strain on the mount.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 6:40 AM   #7

thanks for that information about the longer lenses, i think thats what one of my first thigns to get would be is a 70-300, it would give me a large range of seeing people such as in football games across the field and etc.

do you have any sample photos from any telephoto lenses? thanks
Old Oct 31, 2007, 7:41 PM   #8

Canon Rebel XT

100-400mm L IS lens at 400 mm, handheld

1/640 sec, f10, ISO 400

Resized for forum

Attached Images

ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 5:24 PM   #9

nice picture..what does f10 mean? fstop at 10?