Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 31, 2007, 9:42 PM   #1

I have been waiting for 5D replacement for a while now. sD was released in August 2005 and with usually 18 month refresh cycle it should have been upgraded/replaced 8 monts ago...:evil:

I have been waiting to buy a few lenses this year but not sure if I should get croped lenses or full frame? It largely depends upon what is offered in the 5D replacement...
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2007, 1:56 AM   #2

honestly i dont think its going to be a big improvement over something thats already a great camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Any improvements will definitely be something that doesnt spoil 1D mk III sale or 1dS Mk III sale or even the 40D sale.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My guess is few minor improvements. The camera may not be the real ground breaking one(thou the existing one already is, atleast to me :G). Better picture at ISO3200 could be one thing i would like and a weather sealing.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"for users sake, follow d300 route and give the camera some weather sealing. buying a 2.8K camera with no weather sealing is pathetic.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As a 5D user, i would be more than happy with a weather sealing and a more accurate LCD over bigger LCD. The LCD is crappy and gives false information. There is no way to tune the LCD except for the Brightness. 100% view through the view finder and auto ISO. I would take this..if i need anything more i will add here:G:G

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:56 AM   #3
Super Moderator

There are a few things we will definitely get.
  1. New Digic III processor. Therefore 14-bit encoding.[/*]
  2. Anti-dust feature.[/*]
  3. Redesigned sensor with bigger micro-lenses. Giving improved high-ISO performance along the lines of the 1DMkIII, but probably a little better given the larger pixel sites.[/*]
  4. A slight improvement on weather sealing to bring it up to the same level as the 40D, but probably still well short of the 1 series and D300. I personally could care less about this, the current 5D is fine by me.
    [/*]
  5. Live-view system as in the 40D and new 1D-series, personally I'm not bothered about this though.
    [/*]
We will very likely get.
  1. Higher resolution - my guess is 14-16 Mp.
    [/*]
  2. An improved LCD - but I personally could care less. The only thing I use mine for is to check the histogram. So I would like a more accurate histogram, as for the rest I'm not bothered. But it will be necessary for the live view feature.
    [/*]
  3. A larger buffer, but giving similar performance to the current 5D given the increase in resolution.
    [/*]
  4. Higher fps, probably something nominal like 4 fps - not as high as the 40D, but higher than the current 5D. I could care less about this. I only use single-shot mode anyway.
    [/*]
What I really hope we get (but fear we may not).
  1. The focus adjustment/calibration system from the new 1D cameras.
    [/*]
This time last year I was in a position to buy the 5D but thought I would wait for the Jan/Feb shows. Of course they announced nothing and I got the 5D 4 months later than I could have done. Silly me.

The 5D replacement could still be 6-12 months away, but it's now at a very good price and will still be a very good camera when the replacement comes out. That doesn't mean I won't get upgrade fever of course.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:55 PM   #4

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
The 5D replacement could still be 6-12 months away, but it's now at a very good price and will still be a very good camera when the replacement comes out. That doesn't mean I won't get upgrade fever of course.
6-12 months will be rough but seems like realistic expectation...

May beI should not buy any lenses at this time...:sad: If more people think like me then it could hurt Canon sales..
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:24 PM   #5

Fellow 5D owners,

I just bought the 5D in a package at Adorama. I think I did pretty well. The camera and 24-105L lens(kit) and the Canon Pixma pro 9500 printer for $3500. Canon is still offering a $400 rabate on the printer and $100 rebate on the lens. So about $3000 for the whole show. Also got the grip at Amazon.

It's an incredible camera, has the feel of my old 20D but finally a full size sensor. A wide angle lens is finally REALLY a wide angle lens.

JGB from CT

pacman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote