Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2003, 5:50 PM   #11

NHL, I posted my seagulf to enhance the difference between depth of field with a digital camera and film slr.
My bird might not be a pirme example because of the cheapo lense used, thus some parts are a bit fuzzy which I doubt the should have been.

I noticed before that digital cameras lack in between aperture steps, for instance with your seagullf. So my question was this; If this narrowed down range of f numbers (for instance f2.8 upto f 8) would be sufficient on digital cameras because of smaller image capture plane, shouldn't there be equal amount of steps to set DOF as with normal film?
(Instead of using the same as in film and jumping with major steps through DOF tuning?)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 6:44 PM   #12
NHL

Quote:
noticed before that digital cameras lack in between aperture steps, for instance with your seagullf. So my question was this; If this narrowed down range of f numbers (for instance f2.8 upto f 8) would be sufficient on digital cameras because of smaller image capture plane, shouldn't there be equal amount of steps to set DOF as with normal film?
(Instead of using the same as in film and jumping with major steps through DOF tuning?)
On the contrary, not only it's the same as with any film camera lenses, but the steps sizes are actually adjustable with the 10D, ie in 1/3 steps as well. However, I kept mine at 1/2 since it's more familiar and who want to be that accurate anyway when Photoshop is around... :lol: :lol: :lol:

F/2.8 was the max on that Sigma EX 70-210 HSM, but I could have gone through all the intermediate 1/2 (or 1/3) stops up to f/32!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 7:21 PM   #13

Ha, if the 300D also lets the user choose finer aperture steps, it would be another point for the 300D instead of Fuji S7000.

BTW, I used a Sigma 70-210 UCII, widest aperture is f4-f4.5/f22-f32
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 9:00 PM   #14
NHL

... Everything on the 300D/Rebel is in 1/3-stop increment only!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote