Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:36 PM   #1

I have the Rebel XTi 400D. I see Sandisk coming out with faster CF cards. What is the write speed of the camera? There is no sense to have a card that is faster than the camera can write. I want to buy a card only as fast as I need, instead of spending extra for a card too fast and waste the extra speed.

santro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2007, 6:37 AM   #2
Administrator

Tests I've seen imply that the Xti/400D tends to "max out" at around 5MB/Second to an Extreme IV (266x card).

So, you'd probably see diminishing returns trying to go with anything much faster than an Ultra II in one (although you may see some small increase with faster cards).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 6:19 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Tests I've seen imply that the Xti/400D tends to "max out" at around 5MB/Second to an Extreme IV (266x card).
So, you'd probably see diminishing returns trying to go with anything much faster than an Ultra II in one (although you may see some small increase with faster cards).
The Extreme IV cards are meant to be used with the Extream IV firewire reader. That combination will download at 40mb/sec under perfect conditions. At $245 for an 8Gig card and $80 for the reader, I sure some pros would go for it... ButI'm not in that big of a hurry.
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:04 PM   #4
Administrator

Some new cameras will take advantage of them. For example, the new Sony DSLR-A700 will write to an Extreme IV at around 28MB/Second (not as fast as these cards are capable of, but much faster than existing camera models).

This Sony is designed to work with the new UDMA compliant cards.

The new Nikon models (D3, D300) are also designed to take advantage of cards that fast (they have UDMA support).

The new EOS-1Ds Mark III also has UDMA support.

Other than the EOS-1Ds Mark III, I think Canon's fastest cameras max out at around 8MB/Second to media right now. But, UDMA support will probably make into more of their future offerings as time passes (we're only starting to see it in brand new DSLR models).

In any event, the buffer sizes are getting so large on newer cameras that a faster card is not as necessary anyway (since the camera is going to be just as fast with any speed card unless you fill the internal buffer).

I went with a 133x card for my Sony DSLR-A700 (Transcend 133x 16GB CompactFlash Card). Interestingly, it supports UDMA (even though most UDMA cards are 266x or 300x). It's fast enough for what I typically shoot. I'm clocking around 15MB/Second to it (buffer flush times) shooting raw (about what users are seeing with an Extreme III in it).

That's only about half as fast as users are clocking with an Extreme IV from tests I've seen so far. But, it's much faster than an Ultra II in this camera.

At current prices, I couldn't resist trying one (I got a Transcend 133x 16GB CompactFlash card for $119.95 from newegg.com, which works out to around $7.50/GB), and it's got a lifetime warranty.

Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:47 PM   #5

WHOA! 16 GB!!!

One thing about this hobbie...
Everything gets better or cheaper.
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:53 AM   #6
Administrator

I'm expecting some 32GB cards from major manufacturers to start hitting dealer shelves before too long.

Microdia already has a 300x 32GB CompactFlash Card in their product listings:

http://www.microdia.com/ebiz/jsp/sit...xtra_elite.jsp

Samsung showed off some of their flash memory components at last years Photokina allowing densities that high, and a lot of memory card manufacturers are using Samsung components. See their press release from September 2006 here:

Samsung Press Release on 32GB NAND memory technology

It's only a matter of time before we'll see more larger cards.