Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 15, 2007, 1:14 PM   #1

how do the two compare speaking of image quality. I have the 30d and love it, wondering if the full frame sensor (no crop factor) etc...would make it worth my while to upgrade to the 5D...images quality is the most important factor to me. thanks, donna
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:26 PM   #2

its a FF sensor and the image quality will be a tad better than the 30D. I initially had a 30D and moved to 5D. I dont regret for a second. The High ISO images from the 5D are mind blowing. And i can recover a lot of blown out parts during post processing from a 5D image. The DR is a little wider than the 30D.

Overall if picture quality is the concern and ur ready to sacrifice the 1.6X crop for the wider end 5D is the way to go. For 1900 this camera is a steal . Just six months back the same camera was selling for 2400.

From my experience i cant even think of selling the 5D. I have the 1D mark II and i was even thinking of selling both to get a 1Ds Mk II. But honestly i cant make up my mind to sell the 5D.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 3:16 PM   #3

One caveat - the 5d will show a lens' flaws much more so than the 30d will. Most lenses perform better at the center than they do on the edges. So you'll see more vignetting and possibly more distortion on the 5d for a given lens than you would if you used that same lens on the 30d.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 3:22 PM   #4

sounds like I want one...but want to keep my 30d for wildlife shots. will all my lenses, L or not fit this camera...
Old Nov 15, 2007, 6:44 PM   #5

Donna A. wrote:
Quote:
will all my lenses, L or not fit this camera...
As long as they're not EF-S lenses. Those lenses (or third party lenses designed for APS-C sensors) don't create an image circle large enough.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 7:37 PM   #6

thanks I dont think I have any of the "s" lenses
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:05 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Well Donna,

You know I'm very happy with my 5D. But to be perfectly honest the IQ is not the biggest area where it's better.

In IQ terms it is really only at the margins where it scores over my old 20D.

Marginally better high ISO performance.
Somewhat better resolution.
Marginally better dynamic range.
Access to L lenses with no crop factor.

All-in-all it adds up to prints that are just slightly better at A4/8x12, and quite a bit better at A3/18x12. But to be honest I really don't print that many shots at A3 so the extra resolution is mostly useful for cropping.

Most of the ergonomic and IQ improvements of the 5D have been duplicated in the 40D I believe; bigger and brighter viewfinder, etc.

So having said all that, would I go back to the XXD series? Not a chance. Maybe it's a romantic attachment. But for me the 5D is the sweet-spot camera in the Canon range. Fantastic IQ, not too big or expensive. My next camera will not be a 40D it will be a 5D MkII - or whatever they call it.

I have no doubt you would love one and it would suit your style very much.

Regards,
Craig

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:51 AM   #8

well, I am lobbying for one for Christmas, but I am sure I can live without one, I really like my 30d, just someone was telling me there was so much more detail with the 5d and HDR...course human nature being what it is, this is a bigger "toy" for me so I want it...
Old Nov 17, 2007, 6:03 AM   #9

Hi Donna A & All,

The 5D is proving to be very adaptable to varying conditions.

Here is a recent shoot of my which presented many different field conditions from begining to end. My 5D performed well, IMHO:

http://nickphoto123.zenfolio.com/p451359858/

Hope this is helpful to you,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote