Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2003, 2:51 PM   #1

Default Canon 10D questions

Hello All, For the past few weeks I have been deciding on purchasing either the Canon 10D or the Nikon D100. I have AF lenses for both so interchangibility wasn't/isn't really a factor. To make a long story short, I'm favoring the Canon over the Nikon for a couple of simple reasons. One being the ISO range and the other is less expensive lenses. However I do have a couple of questions concerning the 10D. They are:

1. Is the autofocus noisy or fairly quiet??

2. I like to photgraph sporting events, mainly baseball games, will I be OK with the 10d?? And....

3. Can I shoot B/W with/through the camera or do I have to "convert" the picture once taken in, say, PhotoShop?? (I'm sure this question is answered in a review somewhere, but I probably missed it or didn't pay attention. ops: )

Thanks for your help!!

Chris R.

Canon Rebel, Nikon 6006, Canon S30
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2003, 3:52 PM   #2
NHL

Quote:
It depends on the lens and not the camera! Canon lenses have the motor inside, and not on the body like on other cameras! The EF mount is all electronic with no mechanical coupling. USM lenses (ie ultrasonic) are extremely silent and super fast... Non USM lenses (cheaper) tend to be clunky with the gear train and all. Also USM lenses can be manually overiden by just twisting the focusing ring without having to flip the AF/MF slide switch first. 8)

Quote:
2. I like to photgraph sporting events, mainly baseball games, will I be OK with the 10d?? And....
There no shutter delay if that's what you're refering to...

3. Up to you... :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 5:52 PM   #3

Default Re: Canon 10D questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr
Yeah it all depends on the lenses you have. My Canon USM lenses seem to be fairly quiet which is canon's "Ultrasonic Motor(USM)" system. Its seems to be very fast as well.

Quote:
Again, I would make sure you get a USM model of any Canon lens you end up with. With a tele zoom (ie: 75-300mm) you will want the IS model where you will probably be unlikely able to use a tripod. The 28-105mm or whatever with IS to me is unnecessary. On top of its large ISO settings of 1600 and 3200 you can get some quick shutter speeds going with a small fstop. But I would recommend using say 800 ISO or below. 100 or 200 is the range I try not to go out of. I want my pictures to be as true color as possible. So if you have the money, maybe the L series of Canon lenses. Some really nice fstop's there... 8) Or you can getting NeatImage software for the noise you will get with high ISO's. It helps alot.

Quote:
3. Can I shoot B/W with/through the camera or do I have to "convert" the picture once taken in, say, PhotoShop?? (I'm sure this question is answered in a review somewhere, but I probably missed it or didn't pay attention. ops: )
Im not positive, but I dont think it has a b+w mode? Either way,
I would be just as content on just changing the saturation to 0 with adobe.

Hope I could help.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 2:53 PM   #4

Default Canon 10D questions

Took the wife shopping today and stopped at Ritz cameras. They had the Nikon D100 so I looked at it and asked about the 10D. They had none in stock but the salesperson showed me his own 10D. Man, what a camera. Granted both are nice pieces of equiptment, but I fell in love with the Canon. My decision is made. I'm getting a 10D!! But not from Ritz, waaaaaay to expensive compared to mail order from NYC.

Oh by the way, NHL and UniSonBBS, Thank you very much for the help!!
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote