Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:31 AM   #1

Hello Canon "Gurus"

In a name of an Russian owner...which don't understand English (His EOS DSLR 1D-MK2...don't have Russian language inside the menu!).

He want to know if exist any possibility to shoot a photo anyway, regarding if the lens makes 100% exactly focus or not?

Is yes (Sorry I never saw this model...so can't cope how to do it if it's possible!?:P). write me in English or better in Russian language I will copy/paste to him...as explicitly/ easy to understand as possible...Please!!!:G

Thanks so much for such noble effort!

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:51 AM   #2

One option i see is to use the lens in Manual Focus mode and shoot. If the AF switch is set to AF the camera will wait for a focus lock which is visibile in the view finder when the blinking green light locks

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:59 AM   #3

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
One option i see is to use the lens in Manual Focus mode and shoot. If the AF switch is set to AF the camera will wait for a focus lock which is visibile in the view finder when the blinking green light locks

Hello,

My meaning is...if NOT only moving on the lens from AF to MF...is the ONLY way to fire the shutter ALSO...when it's NOT 100% in sharp focus. Please, don't ask me why such Russian owner want to know or use also when exist the possibility to obtain NON sharp focusing photos?. For so he is asking if inside the "MENU"...exist any set up to fire the shutter also if the object IS NOT in focus?:?

Thanks for your reply

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:39 PM   #4

[align=justify]Shutter Button / AE Lock Button
C.Fn-04 controls how the shutter button and the Exposure Lock button operate.
In its default mode, the shutter button is used for autofocus and autofocus lock and the AEL (*) button is used for exposure lock. Switching this function from 0 to 1 reverses this operation. The * button is then used for AF, and the shutter button is used to hold exposure.
[/align]
[align=justify]Option 2 puts normal autofocus on the shutter button and puts autofocus lock on the * button. No exposure lock function is available in this mode. [/align]
[align=justify]Option 3 puts auto exposure on the shutter button and autofocus on the * button. This is similar to Option 1, but in Option 3, autoexposure lock is not possible. Some photographers prefer to use Option 1 for action such as birds in flight. By doing this with option 1, they can meter the scene, lock the exposure with a half-press of the shutter button and activate autofocus with the * key. [/align]
[align=justify][/align]
[align=justify]Can u try option 2[/align]
[align=justify][/align]
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:16 PM   #5
NHL

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
... In a name of an Russian owner...which don't understand English (His EOS DSLR 1D-MK2...don't have Russian language inside the menu!).

He want to know if exist any possibility to shoot a photo anyway, regarding if the lens makes 100% exactly focus or not?
Very easy - All you need is to put the 1D MrkII in AI-servo AF
-> The camera will shoot anything even if the subject is not in focus!

... heck you can also shoot with the lens cap on :-) :lol: :G
(only in single-shot AF where the camera needs to be in focus before the shutter can release)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:21 PM   #6
Administrator

It looks like there is a custom function (21) to control it's behavior using AI Servo, unless I'm just misinterpreting it's purpose.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...d_mk2_pg4.htmlC.Fn-21: AI Servo continuous shooting and shooting priority
  • 0: Disable
    1: Shooting is possible even while focus has not been achieved.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:27 PM   #7
NHL

JimC

You don't need a custom function for this...
All Canon cameras do this - It's the main difference between AI-servo AF and single-shot AF

i.e. just change the AF modes
Old Nov 20, 2007, 4:30 PM   #8

@nhl..

yes it does..damn i dont know why i missed that one...my 1d mark II almost stays in ai-servo for more than 50%. Unlike NHL i am till a novice to trust the tracking system
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:18 AM   #9
NHL

Yeap - A lot of folks keep forgetting that AI-servo is a "shutter-priority" mode in fact the 1st shutter press will release the camera whether the lens has acquired AF or not. The experienced photographer will 1/2 press the shutter release to lock focus 1st and then follow by a burst of multiple shots where C.Fn-21 comes into play:

0: Disable
Contrary to what it says the initial shutter press still releases at will regardless of the focus; However, in the subsequent time between the burst the camera will let the lens do it things and try best to focus until it times out, 250ms for non USM, and about 200ms for USM lens. If you do your math that'll work out only to 4/5 fps, but remember the 1D MrkII can achieve twice this frame rate in a burst!

1: Shooting is possible even while focus has not been achieved.
Again the initial shutter release will fire the camera regardless of the focus, but the camera will now maintain its 8fps frame rate without waiting for the lens - The trade off here is you'll get more shots but at the expenses of a less accurate focusing...

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=25684