Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1

My old Rebel crapped out and I used that as an excuse to get the 40D. It is an amazing step up in every way.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have a question for you wise members. I hate to ask a question that has already been answered, but I didi not see the answer and if I spend too much time on anything technical I end up spending too much money and getting too obsessive about the details. Thanks for the help.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I need a flash that will light up a stage at my church from 40 -80 feet away as well as light up a kids choir concert from 100-150 feet away. In general, I let the cameras and the flash do most of the settings (except for shutter speed, in poor light) so I need something that is pretty much automatic and easy to use. I will also need some extra flash for the kids basketball and cheerleading things coming up.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm a little leary of Sigma from what I read about build quality.A really quick recharge is nice, but not a deal breaker. I Will buy one flash and that will be good for at elast 5-7 years, so I want to get the right one. I am considering the 430ex and 580ex.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Is the 580 more flash than I need, and would be thus wasting money?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Will the 430ex fit the bill on the longer range shots?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I need some of you guru's who helped me out in the pasts with my lenses (28-135IS) to hold my hand and say "Don, buy the XXXex"

Thanks

Don
DJPtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:54 AM   #2
NHL

It sounds to me like you only want to deal with the Canon brand so in that case get the most powerful flash you can afford which is the 580EX... Sometime folks tend to forget how much power they loose when a flash need to be bounced

Pretty much all flashes are automatic and simple to use theses days; However, the issue has to do with the distances you're talking about, 100-150 feet, even the 580EX will have problem reaching the stage directly without having to crank up the ISO
-> The 580EX with a GN of 58 @ 150ft (45m) need an aperture of around f/1.4 (58/45) at ISO-100 so you'll have to go up from there depending on how fast your lens is - Plus remember this is the GN with the tele setting on the 580EX so the resulting spread might be uneven for a stage group - You're probably in the ballpark of a fan-cooled high-end Metz or Quantum for this kind of power and reach!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 4:36 PM   #3

I agree with NHL. I have the 420EX and the 580EX II. The difference is huge, the 420EX is not nearly strong enough to cover the distances you're talking about. It may even be on the limit of the 580EX. I would definitely spend the money on the 580EX II.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:46 PM   #4

Canon currently has an instant rebate on the 580 flash.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:49 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice. 580 it is. I wanted to be sure that I wasn't blowing money on power and features I didn't need. Any other accessories I should look at before I order from BH?

Thanks

Don
DJPtron is offline   Reply With Quote