Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:29 PM   #1

I currently have the original Digital Rebel and had been thinking of upgrading to the Xti as the prices were falling - then comes the 40D. Any advice on the better upgrade? Does the 40D get me so much more that I should wait until I can afford the $1299 body only price. I do alot of wildlife and travel photography. I have the kit lens as well as 70-300 USM IS which I use a lot.
PhotoPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:57 PM   #2
Administrator

Wildlife and travel photography does not seem to warrant the features of a 40D from my perspective, considering the price difference.

You wouldn't need the faster frame rate, larger buffer, higher available ISO Speed (3200), etc. You'll have to decide to things like better ergonomics, viewfinder, control layout, etc. come into the equation. But, that really doesn't impact image quality for still life type photos.

The image quality in the conditions you're using a camera in really shouldn't be any different once you tweak the settings a bit (one camera's default sharpening, contrast, saturation, etc. may be a bit different compared to the other).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:16 PM   #3

I personally have been playing the upgrading game with the Rebels. Had the original Digital Rebel, then the XT, and am just about to sell this one used to get the XTi. I am not 100% happy with the image quality of the current cameras yet, so I will wait for the 50D or the 60D. Once I am happy with them, I will spend the big bucks on a really nice camera. Of course, that's just my opinion, others probably think different...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:08 PM   #4

PhotoPhanatic wrote:
Quote:
I currently have the original Digital Rebel and had been thinking of upgrading to the Xti as the prices were falling - then comes the 40D. Any advice on the better upgrade? Does the 40D get me so much more that I should wait until I can afford the $1299 body only price. I do alot of wildlife and travel photography. I have the kit lens as well as 70-300 USM IS which I use a lot.
I think the Original Rebel was the same as the 300D here in the UK. If it is, then i can relate to your upgrade. I have just bought the 40D to replace my ageing 10D. the 300D uk or Rebel USA was the nearest to the 10D

Apart from the higher quality files it takes i have found very useful the 6FPS and extra buffer for shooting RAW. Although the canon spec says 11 raw files till lockout, i have found it to be nearer 17 using the sandisk extreme III cards.

These two features alone have been excellent in use photographing the raptors in flight at the local center along with the more accurate focusing using AI Servo.

Not sure if this comes under birding or wildlife but these alone have been a great help to me.
Smudg3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:41 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am not 100% happy with the image quality of the current cameras yet, so I will wait for the 50D or the 60D. Once I am happy with them, I will spend the big bucks on a really nice camera.
Blimey - what's wrong with the 40D?

Or if the 40D ain't good enough what about the 5D? It's going for a song nowadays.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:21 PM   #6

I want less noise at high ISO's and better range in the darks and highlights. Like I said, just a personal opinion. I didn't say that current cameras are not good. But I decided to wait a little longer until I spend big bucks on an expensive body. Right now I'm having fun with my Rebels...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:58 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Once I am happy with them, I will spend the big bucks on a really nice camera.
Well I think from the early results coming in you should get your credit card ready for the Nikon D3.

Just blew the Canon 5D (the current high-ISO champ) out of the water.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3/vs-5d-180mm.htm

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:59 AM   #8
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Well I think from the early results coming in you should get your credit card ready for the Nikon D3.
Also you should start collecting on the lenses now... :lol::-):G

-> Unlike Canon which built them in great quantity, Nikon seems to take a slower pace at building their high quality lenses which limit their availability and command higher prices!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:56 AM   #9

and they arent cheap either :blah:

Nikkor 500mm is insanely costly
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:04 AM   #10
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
and they arent cheap either :blah:

Nikkor 500mm is insanely costly
Yes but a Nikon guy would have picked the 200-400 f/4 instead

Remember your hesitation regarding the EF-500 f/4?
-> This might solve our overseas traveling and weight/handling problems plus they have a 1.7x TC which'll give you the extra reach with less loss in IQ... against a 2x TC

The D3 can also shoot with DX lenses so you'll gain the higher ISO with the 1.5x and have your cake and eat it too... albeit with some sacrifice in MP
-> "ONLY" a $1000 more than a 1DMrkIII - Here we go again you evil!!! :lol::-):G
... and you won't need your 5D as much (i.e. even less avoir-du-poids)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote