Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:06 PM   #1

Is there a way to find out if the 1DM3 you're buying already has the new firmware without opening the box and powering it on at the shop? Would the firmware be listed on a sicker on the outside of the box?

I ask because one of the local shops in my city is advertising the 1DM3 as "New Version available". How would you know it's the new version?

Thanks. <-------- NEVERMIND

Just found the answer...

"If the serial number on the bottom of the camera is between 501001 and 546561, it could be affected by the AF mirror adjustment problem, with the exception of cameras with the following serial numbers
(click here) which were manufactured with an updated mirror mechanism. (Additionally, all EOS-1D Mark III cameras with serial numbers higher than 546561 have been manufactured with the updated mirror mechanism.)" (posted from Canon USA)"

Hope this helps another potential 1DM3 buyer with the same question.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:28 AM   #2

I have the blue dot one. and it has the 1.1.0 firmware only. I got the camera today. And the body feels a lot lighter (yeah its just around 300g lighter). Big difference is the battery. Just took some test shots and the camera as already started growing on me. I have this strange feeling that i may start pampering this new camera more than my 5D. one test shot at iso 1600

Attached Images

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:28 AM   #3

100%
Attached Images

Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:45 AM   #4
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
I got the camera today. And the body feels a lot lighter (yeah its just around 300g lighter).
Wait till you combine the 1D series to a 500mm f/4 and you'll have a handful! :-):lol::G
(regardless of weight...)

Quote:
Big difference is the battery.
I agree here too... The old battery is just so big (+ I have two spares)
-> and the old charger is a monster too... It's like carrying another body on a trip :evil:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:42 AM   #5

@NHL..

i would reserve my comments about the charger..the new is not a small one either. It ssize is almost like a brick(by dimension):G:G:G. Weight is almost similar to the old one. The idea of loading two batteries into the charger didnt help reducing the size though.

I tried the MK III with my new 300 F2.8 IS. It felt perfect. I mean, i had the mark II till last week and i can clearly see a difference. on papers, it could be just 300g lighter but i definitely feel the new 1D is almost perfect in the weight area.

And dont tempt me to get the 500mm

And using 5D along with the 1D is no longer a big problem. the menu system is almost the same as the 5D. Not the layout but the way we access the menu items.

Biggest change is the replication of the wheel functionality from the 5D or the XXD series. Very nice.

The 3inch screen is also very good. I am not picky about 100% zoom and i am no ways comparing it with the new 3inch screen of the Nikon. But its really a good addition.

At this moment i am not really concerned about the AF issue. Even the pictures i posted are using AF-Servo.I am plainly excited to take this camreea out for the weekend to some local game or even a park
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:03 AM   #6
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
The 3inch screen is also very good. I am not picky about 100% zoom and i am no ways comparing it with the new 3inch screen of the Nikon. But its really a good addition.
IMO the writing is on the wall on this one -> MrkIIIN anyone? :idea:

That was what Canon did mostly from the MrkII to the MrkIIN previously to improve its rear LCD as the rest of the 1D stayed relatively unchanged between the two versions.
This Nikon/Sony's high-resolution screen is just so nice that one can actually manually focus on it - They got to have it!

Quote:
And dont tempt me to get the 500mm
I've been down this path before. Only few $k more for the 500 from the 300 as it won't hurt the wallet as much!
-> and that's why I kept the 120-300 f/2.8... more flexible with a zoom

If I've invested in the 300 then there's a lot more to spend for a whole new 500 (and then I still lack the shorter and fast zoom)
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:42 AM   #7

@NHL

ur so so evil.....i am going to ignore this post abt 500mm. I totally understand the difference in dollors. In fact is just over a 1000$ to go for the 500mm. Darn you.......

i am going to use the 300 for sometime before actually falling for ur evil trap:G:G
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:10 PM   #8

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
i am going to use the 300 for sometime before actually falling for ur evil trap:G:G
If you get bored with your 300, please feel free to send it my way. I'll make sure it's disposed of in a safe manor :G
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:16 PM   #9

sure will do...i loved the 120-300. But its even more with the 300mm. I have never used a lens that focuses so fast like the 300mm. And the image quality wide open is absolutely superb.

only reason i went from 120-300 to 300 was the seldom use of the zoom and i didnt mind throwing the extra for the weather seal and the IS.

This weekend the Mk III and the 300 will go out for its first trip

and i am still furious over NHL for bringing the 500mm in :P
Old Nov 30, 2007, 4:24 PM   #10
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
I totally understand the difference in dollors. In fact is just over a 1000$ to go for the 500mm. Darn you.......
It looks to me like this is a no brainer since I like to play the devil... :blah:

-> For only over a $1000 more the 500mm starts with a 200mm advantage already with a razor thin DOF at almost any aperture (and not just wide opened): http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=65

No doubt the 300 is a fantastic lens, but you're not doing any sport if I recall, and a 300 is just too short for wildlife. By the time you have to use this lens with a 2xTC all its advantages are lost - correct?
-> The 500 becomes a 700 with only a 1.4x and a full 1000mm with a 2x and it still focus on a 1D! :idea:

.... Send it over to JohnG way :lol::-):G