Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:31 PM   #1

Hi,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have a 5D and i use the 500mm with that. I decided to get a pro body. But i am bit attracted towards the 1.6X crop of the 40. I can either get a 1d Mark IIN or a 40D.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I shoot lots of small birds. I am from India and here the weather resistance would work better than any other country. I havfe been to the states and if u think States is dirty for weather resistance trust me u havent seen what india looks, feels like.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I cannot make a decision based on one of the simplest factor the 1.6x and 1.3x of probody

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"wish canon can make one pro body with 6x crop in it

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So can u guys advice.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Anyone using a 1series and a XXD series can help

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"swamy
poorIndianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2007, 6:36 PM   #2

U need 1d for the speed and weather sealing.

If ur after birds resting in a place u would be well off with a 40D for its reach and its speed.

If ur planning to chase birds in flights i feel the 1D would be better to AF and track.

Except for a fellow forum member NHL, i guess the 1D's AF -Servo would help tracking birds for may.

NHL uses the single point focus and i still cant understand how he does while a bird flies. If i have to guess, i would guess he has sharp eyes and super speed forefinger to enable shutter the moment he hears a lock

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:54 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Sounds like you need the 1D MkIII or perhaps you could get a good deal on a 1D MkII.

The other option is a Nikon D300 (1.5 crop) or even the new Olympus E3 (2x crop). Depends of course on how much you have invested in your Canon lenses.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:48 AM   #4
NHL

poorIndianGuy wrote:
Quote:
I decided to get a pro body. But i am bit attracted towards the 1.6X crop of the 40. I can either get a 1d Mark IIN or a 40D.

I shoot lots of small birds. I am from India and here the weather resistance would work better than any other country. I havfe been to the states and if u think States is dirty for weather resistance trust me u havent seen what india looks, feels like...
I've shot lot of small birds with the 500mm in the rainforests (with a 10D and MrkII) so I can understand your problem. The biggest difference between the 40D and the 1D MrkIIn is the size and weight: The 40D will feel the same as your currrent 5D, but the MrkIIn will be twice heavier and also quite larger with the bigger battery that you have to add to the weight of the 500...

In term of weather sealing I believe both camera are dust and water resistant, but then I have shot with the 10D and Sigma lens (without any weather seals) in the liquid sunshine with a cover on so there are ways around this issue:

For small birds I would prefer the larger crop ratio and you also tend to use only the single point AF so it's hard to say which camera is better.
-> Also the 500mm has such a razor thin DOF at close distance that I don't believe it's wise to use AI-servo unless you plan to do a burst and discard the out of focus pictures when the camera attempts to track: http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=25684

May be I'm too biais to help like peripatetic suggested: :lol::-):G
"The other option is a Nikon D300 (1.5 crop) or even the new Olympus E3 (2x crop). Depends of course on how much you have invested in your Canon lenses."

I went down the D300 path (although the E3 was a close 2nd) with a large investment in Canon lenses already - The cost would have been the same as if I upgraded to a MrkIII, but it now allows me a different option in camera and lenses...
-> I'll let you know in a month after returning from my next birding trip
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:37 AM   #5

The 40D will feel the same as your currrent 5D, but the MrkIIn will be twice heavier and also quite larger with the bigger battery that you have to add to the weight of the 500...

i think the 500 would feel more balanced on the 1d mark IIn over the 40D. The camera is heavy, but its a but chunkier and it will act like a counter balance to the 500mm u will attach. If ur using the 5D and are attaching a 500mm to it, i would say the mark II N will feel better. Coz i have used that combo(not the 500 yet) but the 300mm f2.8 which is five pounds lighter than the 500mm.

@NHL-

What lens did u get with the D300. Did u try any pictures yet with the new KIT. Do post some AF related ones as well as the new Contrast based tracking. It would be really intersting to see.

the 500mm is a beast, agreed, but yesterday i got a chance to play with the 500mm in a near by wetlands with a fello photographer 500mm Lens. Its not that bad. The IS works really well for such a heavy lens and hand held shots are not so bad as claimed

And the Wimberly head is one heck of a solution. Darn innovative and very very very effective.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:48 PM   #6
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
i think the 500 would feel more balanced on the 1d mark IIn over the 40D. The camera is heavy, but its a but chunkier and it will act like a counter balance to the 500mm u will attach. If ur using the 5D and are attaching a 500mm to it, i would say the mark II N will feel better. Coz i have used that combo(not the 500 yet) but the 300mm f2.8 which is five pounds lighter than the 500mm
I would agree in the 1D would counter balance well with a lighter 300 (or 120-300 f/2.8 ); However, on the 500 because the lens is so much bigger and heavier that the camera just becomes part of the lens instead and that'll you end up holding the whole thing with both hand and not really balancing anything anymore!

BTW I don't own a good sturdy tripod let alone a Wimberly... :lol::-):G
-> This is not shooting style since I like to hike and move about nature - if you plan on getting a Wimberly and stay fix then could go with the 600 (or the 400 f/2.8 ) since weight is not so much a factor anymore!

Quote:
What lens did u get with the D300. Did u try any pictures yet with the new KIT.
The Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 and the Bigma
I can thus cover 24mm to 500mm with just two lenses - Actually the Tamron 200-500 is a better lens because it's both lighter and sharper, but I wanted 1 lens with and 1 lens without HSM so I can evaluate the D300's AF performance. I tend to add lenses to the Nikon that I don't already have since I don't want to replace my Canon but to compliment it
-> The Tokina is really a nice lens IMO, all metal and really big for an APS sized lens plus it has full-time AF manual override without the ultrasonic mechanism. I also think Nikon did the 3rd party a favor here because this lens focuses really fast with the camera's internal screw drive and quite silent too...

Quote:
Do post some AF related ones as well as the new Contrast based tracking. It would be really intersting to see.
Do you mean the 3D-tracking mode?
This is where the D3/D300 is different from the Canon's where their 51 AF phase detectors can be linked to the 1005 RGB elements metering sensor by color...
-> The only mode I know of in which the D300 uses contrast to focus is in liveview where the actual image sensor is read to perform the AF since the mirror is already locked up
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:17 AM   #7

I meant the 3D-Tracking mode. My bad.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"and on the wimberly, for normal people i guess this is a great solution. For "Evil", genius like you even the new 200-500 Sigma(shud i call it Sig "Mama" ) wouldnt require a tripod :blah:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Honestly the 300 feels lighter to me than the 120-300 i had. May be its the length.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"the 500 feels better with the longer tripod mount. I was able to hand hold it easilly. Once i get mine will share if i need a wimberly or if its enuff to handhold it. Coz carrying the 500 wasnt a big deal. just carry it like a bucket of water with the tripod mount

@NHL. D3 and D300 i assume have the same AF

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=25960547

In my opinion this is one of the difficult birds to shoot flying. Fast, changes direction so fast. And tough one to get in a sequence.

D3 now the new king of AF??????
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:59 AM   #8
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
and on the wimberly, for normal people i guess this is a great solution. For "Evil", genius like you even the new 200-500 Sigma(shud i call it Sig "Mama" ) wouldnt require a tripod :blah:
You probably meant the 300-800?
I highly doubt that - Check its size against the 500 f/4: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-300-800.shtml

-> The dilemna now is when I get this lens which mount should I go for?
(BTW It's available for the E3 too...) :lol::-):G
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:09 AM   #9

@nhl

Nope i meant the sigma 200-500 f2.8

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07...ma200500mm.asp

its heavier than the heaviest dumbell i may use in the GYM :G:G

and imgaine the 300-800 on a olympus..600-1600mm f5.6

I dont think u need a tripod. All u need is to drive ur car and take pictures sitting inside the car and come back

With the 200-500 f2.8 and with a 1.4x tele u can get a 2800 on the olympus..now that saves even the car fuel....hahhaha

and it weighs 35 pounds...no joke...look at this

http://www.sportsshooter.com/funpix_view.html?id=6448