Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:01 PM   #1

appreciate you sharing what you use for your canon and why. thanks
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:15 PM   #2

sRGB in my 5D and 1D

But i have no understanding about the color space. I edit in Mac and the screen is usually USER calibrat(able) by the user. I calibrate it, take a print compare the reds, blues and greeens between the print and the display.

So far my reds have come out as red unlike in my toshiba where reds in the laptop come out as Maroon.(I hate WINDOWS based laptops.) And i use the sRGB in Photoshop again.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:35 PM   #3

Canon's dSLR RAW files aren't affected by color space until I process them and output them in another format. But since I do generally shoot RAW+JPG, and sincethe RAW files also have an embedded jpg preview image, I keepmy Canoncameras set at sRGB, which is ideal for viewing on most standard monitors.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-1998says it all, IMHO, Donna.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:49 PM   #4

thanks for the tips and the link. I have to keep reminding myself that raw is just what the camera sees, unlike jpeg where I alter the shot. but...ideally should you use RGB for pro labs when printing fine art prints and sRGB for web postings...and do you have to change back and forth according to the destination of the file. or can you set a sRGB default for web files...otherwise using RGB for important print jobs. and one more question: do you tell your lab (WHCC is mine now) to correct your files or do you do it and instruct the lab to leave them alone. do you imbed your color files? sorry for all the questions, but I can't tell you between my ignorance and a multitude of opinions how mixed up I am now.
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:40 PM   #5

sRGB is a very narrow colour gamut compared to Adobe RGB.

sRGB's colour gamut encompasses around 35% of visible colour, while Adobe RGB encompasses around 50%. Adobe RGB extends farther into the cyan and green colour gamut, which is responsible for the 15% increase on sRGB. Adobe RGB also uses mostof the colours achievable on CMYK printers, so if you're going for prints, Adobe RGB may be for you. The bigger bit depth the better, as always though...
Gerafix is offline   Reply With Quote