Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:23 PM   #1

Hi everyone,
I just got my new toy, 5D body.
I've been playing around with it a little and noticed the mirror will catch on my Canon 50mm F/1.8 Mk2 ( the plastic one).
This only happens on this lens.
I've tried it with the Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 and all my other Digital lens and it doesn't happen.
Anyone had that problem? How do you resolve it?
I don't think the camera is at fault,its more likely to be the lens.
I've retested with my 30D and 40D and its fine on both.
Any ideas?

Regards
Nick
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:35 PM   #2

Reason your mirror catching is because the 50mm F1.8 Mk11 is NOT for full frame bodies as your 5D is,basically itjust for the 350D, 30D 400D & 40D and to keep using the 50mm on your 5D will proberly end up damaging your mirror.

Most 3rd party lenses mainly fromSigma will work on both cropped & full frame sensors.

But if you want to use Canon lenses on your 5Dthen you have to look at the L range which are expensive.

Ixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 3:24 AM   #3

You are quite wrong there. The 50mm is a Full Frame Lens.And i got another one and it works perfectly fine.Please do not post if you do not know what you are talking about.
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 3:35 AM   #4
Super Moderator

That's pretty weird.

I used the 50MkII (plastic one) with my 5D and never had that problem.

I didn't use it for long though, because I soon bought the 50 f1.4 and then (because that was pretty plasticky and I didn't like the AF) got the 50 f1.2 L.

Quote:
But if you want to use Canon lenses on your 5D then you have to look at the L range which are expensive .
Techincally this is nonsense, but somehow it actually seems to work out that way in practice. Be warned.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:23 AM   #5

i second peripatetic..

the 50mm works fine with my 5D too. and in fact has been one of the main lens's in some marriages i have done locally in india. Superb image quality for the price i paid.

though the 85L replaced it royally
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:25 AM   #6

Did you compare the lens mount on the 50mm f1.8 against your other lenses for any abnormalities? Is anything sticking deeper into the camera than your other lenses? The 5D has a bigger mirror than the 30D and 40D. It'll hit things the APS-C cameras won't.

Could the 50mm f1.8 rear glass element be protuding beyond the lens mount? Try putting the 50mm f1.8 in to MF mode with the lens off the camera. Turn the focus ring and the rear element will move in and out. It should not go pass the plane of the lens mount.

Something is not right with your copy of the 50mm f1.8.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:19 PM   #7

Hello all,

EXACTLY the same thing happened with me.

I bought a used 5D and a brand new 50mm f1.8 Mk II.

After every shot, the viewfinder would black out, and the lens would need to be half removed to allow the mirror back down.

I tried a replacement lens and, lo and behold, no problem whatsoever.

Cheers,
John
jhnpennington is offline   Reply With Quote