Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:54 AM   #21
Administrator

Blame Rob Galbraith (or thank him, depending on your perspective). lol

I can see where he's coming from. If I depended on a camera for a living shooting in those conditions, and a new model didn't perform as well as a previous one, I might be a tad inclined to complain about it, too.

Also, his tests have resulted in Canon improving it. So, if I were a Canon shooter, I'd be grateful for his work.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:18 AM   #22

@NHL

i really didnt want to use the space to write all the things that i feel its improved....and you know that :blah:..i can start from the battery and go upto using the menu as well as the ease of changing the ISO with a direct ISO change button and customizing the SET button to be used for Mirror lock...and what not...

It all comes to the point of satisfaction. I initially held on to my 5D thinking mk III wouldnt be that good. Now i sold the 5D knowing it was a overkill for me. I got the 12-24 to go wider if i need and 1d mark III has enuff resolution to keep me happy.

And i am absolutely amazed at highlights and shadow improvement. I can visibly see a difference in some instances like during setting sun and mid day sky. The blue is coming out better atleast it makesme think its better in the DR too. Especially the Ton priority does improve the tones in areas like trees etc. I am just absolutely biased coz i love the mk III.

One issue i have is that my middle finger aches after sometime holdng the grip. I meant the camera as such. I just feel the materal to be a bit abrasive and hard compared to the mark II. I never had any problem holding the mark II even with the 120-300 attached all day.

Other issue is to protect that screen. Darn its big to be too careful
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:21 AM   #23

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Blame Rob Galbraith (or thank him, depending on your perspective). lol

I can see where he's coming from. If I depended on a camera for a living shooting in those conditions, and a new model didn't perform as well as a previous one, I might be a tad inclined to complain about it, too.

Also, his tests have resulted in Canon improving it. So, if I were a Canon shooter, I'd be grateful for his work.

Absolutely. Last time I checked, not a single person on this forum is earning their living shooting sports. So, from the perspective of the people on this forum the mkIII is going to be a better camera if it's working like nymphetamine and mine our.

But, If I'm shooting for AP and I need to cover the summer olympics - guess what? I'm going to want to use the mkII-N (which in affect is what is happening right now - it happened for the French Open tennis tournament).

I think it's easy for you to underestimate the importance of servo performance NHL because it's not important to YOU. To a sports shooter it's critical. And bottom line is keepers. So for those hot sunny days, if the mkII-N gets you more keepers it's the better tool for the job. From a pro standpoint, that's not acceptable. I've heard sports shooters that are using their old mkII-Ns for the outdoors and the mkIIIs for indoors. You shouldn't have to do that.

The mkIII is aimed SQUARLY at sports shooters. So it needs to meet the demands of that market. And keeper rate in bursts IS a requirement. And a critical one.

So yes, Jim, as a canon owner I'm glad Rob is putting the pressure on Canon here. I paid $4500 to get the best sports camera in the world - not the best one in certain circumstances

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:41 AM   #24

@john..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"with the current hysteria about the camera AF issue i guess one can pick a new mk III o even say 1000 actuations old Mk III for less than 3800 .

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Though the camrea is aimed at SPorts shooter, it just feels and works as a complete camrea.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:02 PM   #25

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
@john..
"Though the camrea is aimed at SPorts shooter, it just feels and works as a complete camrea.
I agree. You'll also note I have no intentions of selling my mk III. It's a fabulous camera. But I'm not making my living with it either
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:26 PM   #26
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Other issue is to protect that screen. Darn its big to be too careful
Well they could include a plastic cover like on the Nikon's, but I find this protection device rather tacky and useless: The glass is tempered so it won't scratch and instead of smudging up the glass your finger and nose prints are all over the plastic which is now harder to clean
... and scratch even more easily!!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:29 PM   #27

NHL wrote:
Quote:
instead of smudging up the glass your finger and nose prints are all over the plastic which is now harder to clean
... and scratch even more easily!!!
speaking of which - have any of you ever used an eye piece extender? (thus reducing the nose smashing on the screen affect)? If so, how well does it work?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:38 PM   #28
NHL

No - but if I remove the LCD plastic protector, I also remove the interference (and less thing to lose)

I also learned to use my left eye instead of my right - How's that for accomodation?
Left for Nikon, Right for Canon :lol::-):G
-> That is after I've figured out all the button and dials differences... even changing the lens is backward!!! :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:37 PM   #29

probably using a LCD shield from ebay would solve part of the issue.

I alaways wonder why the eye piece feels a bit akward when tilted vertically. I always feel the view finder is placed too low for the vertical grip and composing is somewhat akward. Its not camera specific. But in general. I wish they moved the view finder a little bit of the right. I am moderately ambidexterous and hence i invariable use the left eye to focus.. So smudging the screen hasnt been abig issue.

probably thats were the eye piece extender will be useful, while using the vertical grip
Old Dec 12, 2007, 4:08 PM   #30

not to deviate from topic..my oh my loook at this

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/596163