Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:18 PM   #1
jhc

Due to family illness, I've barely scratched a zillionth of a pixel, but the long-awaited Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III arrived Monday in three huge boxes with almost everything from 14-400mm to replace a complete Nikon system started in 1963 with a Nikon-Fthat ended this summer with a D2X. I detested the divorce but screamed for full-frame and many more megapixels. So far,but basedon extremely limited experience due to forces beyond my control, this new ballgame for me starts with a homerun. While I'll be more than happy to address any question you may have, please bear in mind that I've seen little yet of the proverbial iceberg, let alone any solid scientific data, nor even a print. Subjective views, based on more than 50 years in photography, two degrees in the field and a beginning orientation that anything less than 4x5 was "miniature," slants this very premature stance. But, I'll be objective as I can. Just keep the preceding in mind as you form your questions. As a start, though, it won't hurt to tell you that I am pleasantly surprised by a couple of things. (1) It "feels" good and at home in my grubby old hands: a point that I approached very negatively about Canon in general, and this weighty beast in particular; (2) I'm astonished with its "user friendliness" compared with my last few Nikons, and especially the D2X; (3) I'm far less apprehensive about dumping a career littered with Nikons and spending enough money to buy a halfway decent car for this switch; and (4) Dumping this much cash at a time in my life when I really didn't NEED another camera line for employment, but only because my physical condition wouldn't allow me to wag around a view camera, and I wanted the nearest reasonable qualitative results without a complete blowout with insanely priced Hasselblad stuff. If you have any questions, hints or observations, I'd appreciate 'em, as I've found zero, zilch, NADA of hands-on experience with this new Bentley GT of the Canon line.
jhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:22 PM   #2
Super Moderator

My only advice is make sure you have a copy of Adobe Lightroom to go with it. (Photoshop optional.)

Shoot RAW obvously and post some pics when you get a chance.

I'm happy enough with my 5D for the moment.

Oh yes, and have FUN!

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:19 PM   #3

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
My only advice is make sure you have a copy of Adobe Lightroom to go with it. (Photoshop optional.)

Shoot RAW obvously and post some pics when you get a chance.

I'm happy enough with my 5D for the moment.

Oh yes, and have FUN!
Any rumors about the specs for the new 5D M2? I've been looking on the net and there's nothing but photos of the possible look of the camera body. But nothing on the specs. Have you (or any one else) heard anything? Faster fps? Cleaner pics with even more detail?

Probably see a bump in maximum ISO to 6400. 3" LCD with LiveView. Dust removal. Possibly a bump in FPS to 6? Hmmm...

I guess we'll have to wait till mid ot late January for pre-PMA announcements.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote