Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2007, 2:33 PM   #1

I'm seriously thinking about upgrading from a pentax k100D to either a 30D or 40D. I don't have much glass invested in my pentax, besides a bunch of old M42 screw mounts. So i figure now would be a good time to switch over. I like to mainly shoot landscapes, sports, cityscapes, concert, and maybe get into wedding photography later. I'm trying to make up my mind if I should go for a used 30D, or get the new 40D body only and start off with the nifty fifty. What camera would you guys go for for the type of shooting I'm looking for? Also these are the lenses I would buy in the future, sigma 10-20mm or tamron 11-18mm, tamron 17-50mm or 28-75mm f2.8, and sigma 70-200mm f2.8. Maybe canon 85mm 1.8. Does canon make a mount/adapter to accept the old screw mount lenses?

Thanks for all help and info.
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2007, 3:35 PM   #2

I like to mainly shoot landscapes, sports, cityscapes, concert, and maybe get into wedding photography later

thats almost every scenario u have described. If u are raelly planning to switch give D300 a thought..It everything u said abt 40D + higher frames / sec for sports, better ISO for wedding and its a really good camera.

I would give KD10D a second thought....its a terrific camera with weather sealing and still cheaper than 40D or d300.

But if u really want to choose between 30D mand 40D i will stretch and get the 40D. Newer sensor, better ISO, faster frames, dust removal and digic III

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 3:43 PM   #3

Yes, the K10D is also in the back of my mind. I've been reading up on that camera. Out of all the shooting I posted earlier, citysacpes, concert, and sports are the 3 major things I shoot right now. Will the K10 burst off as many shots as the D300 or 30/40D? Will it AF just as good as the canon or nikon?
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 4:36 PM   #4

K10D is not a direct sport fotography camera for sure. Its more of a medium segment camera with which u can do sport. For higher frame rates its between D300 and 40D. D300 overall feels like a better camera over 40D and D300 has better weather sealings compared to 40D.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote