Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2003, 6:35 AM   #1
wjl

Default Question for dSLR users

I am thinking of making the jump from P&S to the dSLR world and the D300 is one of the cameras on the list. I would like to know what the experince is with the CMOS/CDD dust issues for those of you who are using these cameras. I have considered the Olympus E-1 because of its unique wave filter (assume that we find out it really works) but it is a little two pricy for me and the Sigma SD9 is off the table. I like the idea of the Canon and the Canon glass. So for you D60/10D owners out there, what is you experince with dust and cleaning etc. When do you encounter and in real world shooting situtations, how does it affect your photography and your pictures? (I know we can all shoot at blue skys and try and maximize the dust but in real life we don't take pictures like that).

WJL
wjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2003, 7:07 AM   #2
NHL

It's an issue, no question about it... However; It also depends how picky you're. I haven't clean my CCD for over two months now (even though there's some on my camera). If I stop the lens down all the way to maximize the DOF and magnify the image to the max and try to hunt for the dust I'll find some, but in most normal situation I don't find it noticeable (or easily clone out with Photoshop...)

The wave thingy is definetly nice, but also one has to trade-off in resolution (beside 3/2 vs 4/3)... Can we have both? :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/olympuse1/page12.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page18.asp
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 11:05 AM   #3

I have cleaned my camera sensor once. A lot can depend on how good you are about swapping your lenses. Do it quickly, delay in covering the replaced lens, put the new lens on the camera quickly. Some say that you should turn the camera off (discharges the charge on the sensor) but I some times forget (oops) and I've gotten away with it. I find I get more stuff on my lens than I have my sensor.

Oh, it also matters where you are when you do it. Are you on the beach? Or in the car? The beach will almost always have a sea breese which won't help things.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 11:43 AM   #4

i'm with them. just last week was the first time cleaning the imager. took about 5 minute outdoors on a picnic table. followed the canon method with some variation. no chemical weapons at this point or mass anounts of specialized pads.

1- keep the lens on until you need to change it
2- if you cap it. make darn sure the cap is clean. that is an excellent source of foreign matter since most caps are in the bottom of the bag filling up with whatever.
3- i make it a habit to remove the lens with the camera face down and out of the breeze.
4-a good blower is reqd
5- somtimes the use of a pad type device can push the offending in further into the AA filter in the case of my camera. i use a carbon based kinetronic brush to sweep along with the blow. this helps dissapate static which of course draws those lovely particals back.
6- speckgrabber as last resort matter remover.
7- good small flashlight for inspection. prefer LED type.

after your done. shoot a sky shot or blank white wall for inspection purposes.

worked for me so far.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 12:16 PM   #5

Has anyone tried a mini vacuum cleaner with soft brush/ pad?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 5:52 PM   #6
wjl

Default Thanks for the great input

Thanks for the great input everyone. I agree with the first reply that it would be nice to have both. Actually I don't quite understand why the manufacturs don't try and address this problem as we are on how many varaitions of a dSLR now???? Hopefully newer models will work towards this. You can't stop the dust, they just need to come up with a better solution for cleaning that maybe doesn't put the camera at quite as much risk as playing around the AA filter in fron the sensor.

If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd like to hear them.

WJL
wjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2003, 8:56 AM   #7

sjms

I like your #2 item... I hadn't thought of that.

I also do #3. Seems to make a difference, but I'm not planning on finding out if it doesn't.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote