Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:43 AM   #11

but atleast Nikon allowed the older lens to be mounted on their DSLR's unlike Canon

like someone said,Nikon is more of a cameraspecific compnay while Canonspends more time on marketing what they have over developing something thatwill help photographers tomake a transition from different ages of their own products.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:27 AM   #12
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
but atleast Nikon allowed the older lens to be mounted on their DSLR's unlike Canon
However in committing to support older lenses they are also "stuck" with the pre-existing constrain which won't allow some f/1.2 or even f/1.0 lenses

-> and that was one of the main push for the EOS mount...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:42 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Jim,

Nikon has made a big push with new lenses recently.

But they have had to because the Canon lineup was more extensive.

Even now...

24L f1.4 -> no current Nikon in production. (f2.8 fastest)
35L f1.4 -> no current Nikon equivalent. (f2.0 fastest)
50L f1.2 -> no current Nikon equivalent. (f1.4 fastest)
85L f1.2 -> no current Nikon equivalent. (f1.4 fastest)

135L f2 - Nikon 135D f2.

24 TS -> no Nikon equivalent.
45 TS -> 35 PC.
90 TS -> no Nikon equivalent.

The same was true until recently for 24-70 f2.8 zoom and a lot of the telephoto primes.

Is it really so controversial to say that Canon has a bigger lens selection? I thought that was pretty commonly accepted. Slightly more controversial to say that the Nikon lenses are probably slightly better quality. I do peruse the internet lens suppliers and find that the Nikon page tends to have more "out of stock" or "awaiting stock" markers than Canon does. Is this comment really that controversial? I thought it was pretty much agreed too. Certainly it can't be controversial to say that the Nikon lenses tend to cost more than their Canon equivalents - just check the price lists.

Does any of this matter? Well clearly it does to some people and not to others. Is your point that it doesn't to most? I guess that's an empirical question about which I have no data. I would say that the perception probably does which I presume is why Nikon is releasing so many new lenses.

I am no Canon fan-boy; I actually think Nikons are cooler cameras and will quite happily switch to another brand if it seems sensible to do so.

For now though I use the Canon 5D + 50f1.2 lens for 75% of my shots and there is no equivalent option from any other manufacturer. This is not something I'm particularly happy about; in fact I look forward to Nikon and Sony + Zeiss coming up with some competition in this arena.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:38 PM   #14
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
... in fact I look forward to Nikon and Sony + Zeiss coming up with some competition in this arena.
Well -> Your wish just became a reality: :lol::-):G
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...834935#p834935
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:46 AM   #15

I recently purchased the Nikon D300. Previously I had a used D100 and when I started thinking about upgrading it was pretty much a tossup betweenthe Nikon D200 and the Canon 30D (at that time). I tended to lean toward the Nikon because I have a number of very good Nikon mount manual focus lenses. The 40D impressed my but then the D300 was released and even though it was quite a bit more money I went with it because of lens compatibility, the high res. LCD and much better battery life than either the D200 or the 30D.

I've had the camera three weeks now and am very pleased. If I hadn't already had the Nikon lenses I'm sure I could have got a 30D or 40D and been very pleased, too.
Zorki1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:06 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well -> Your wish just became a reality
Not a reality just yet, the FF is only going to arrive Q4 2008.

But anyway, I have a new mission. I have decided to hang on to my 5D and my small collection of lenses for another 2-3 years.

My next camera is going to be one of these:

http://www.zeiss.com/zeissikon

Yes, madness I know, but I always wanted a Contax when I was younger, and this is the closest thing to it. In the next 2-3 years I shall build up a small collection of M lenses and be ready for a reasonably-priced digital rangefinder when it arrives (hopefully one from Zeiss). The M8 is a bit bleeding edge and a bit bleedin' expensive too.

I've decided on the camera, still can't choose between the 50mm f2 Planar and the 50mm f1.5 Sonnar, at this stage leaning towards the Planar.

Then the big question - what scanner??? I think at this point the leading candidate by some distance is the Coolscan V.

Back to film!!!! (But with my trusty 5D for when circumstances dictate.)

Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:20 PM   #17
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Back to film!!!! (But with my trusty 5D for when circumstances dictate.)
To tell you the truth, I never left...
-> With some real "full-frames": :lol::-):G

Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:28 PM   #18

what a beauty!!!!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 1:47 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Haha, those aren't full-frame.

8x10 are the only real full-frame! Everything else is a compromise. :blah:

However, I think NHL has had the right solution all along. Don't stick to one "system" - it just drives you crazy. Gets you into stupid and pointless and endless comparisons Canon v Nikon or something.

Instead get yourself a few systems that you can choose from as whim and circumstances dictate.

I'm pretty happy with my 5D as my SLR system for now. But I have always wanted an M rangefinder system and I have always hankered after some Zeiss lenses; the Ikon allows me to satisfy both those cravings - so I will be collecting those for a couple of years.

The other system that I really like is the Mamiya 7II, so I'll probably end up with one of those after that.

And of course a 4x5 large format system with a lens or two needn't be terribly expensive.

That should last me the next 3-4 years or so, by which time I might decide to "upgrade" my 5D if Canon have brought out a new model by then.:shock:

Fortunately I don't have the vaguest interest in telephoto lenses. I can buy all of my likely purchases over the next 3-4 years for less than your 500L.

And I can space out my acquisitions to one every few months in order to feed the addiction slowly.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:07 AM   #20

Fortunately I don't have the vaguest interest in telephoto lenses. I can buy all of my likely purchases over the next 3-4 years for less than your 500L.

Lucky u!!!.... dont ever try that lens even if someone asks you to try it...thats the mistake i did..now i ended up with one ..my fav portrait lens tooo