Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:37 AM   #21
NHL

That's a beautiful portrait...
Great Work - No kidding! (is that really lipstick?)

... and BTW you might get addicted too - A tale of three 500's: :lol::-):G

Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:19 PM   #22

thanks NHL...is that a lipstick??:G..here is one more....

and heres one/...."Where is my FOOD"

i like the bigma.... a wonderful lens.. knowing we almost always shoot at over f5.6 easilly....i am so used to this 500 that i dont see it heavy...may be because of the pictures it produces...it turns a few dozen heads..that some days i leav the hoood reversed to keep it smaller... with the hood it just scared the holy c of people around me...

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:34 PM   #23

Really great stuff. Can you please stop posting photos from that 500 now I've got enough toys on my wish list already
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:54 PM   #24

hahaha

thanks John

ur wishlist is no where close to complete without this beauty 500mm.....last two...it does human portraits tooo..

and MR GRUMPY

Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:51 PM   #25
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
i like the bigma.... a wonderful lens.. knowing we almost always shoot at over f5.6 easilly....i am so used to this 500 that i dont see it heavy...may be because of the pictures it produces...it turns a few dozen heads..that some days i leav the hoood reversed to keep it smaller... with the hood it just scared the holy c of people around me...
Yeap - About the only negative on the 500 f/4L is its so big in urban area that you can't go unnoticed... It seems lighter to me when I took the hood off totally because all the hood's weight is concentrated up-front, but the greatest benefit is the lens appear much smaller without it

You're right: with a 500mm I can still get plenty of defocus even @ f/8-f/11, and that's why it does wonder on the Bigma as well. However the bokeh on that EF-500 is just plain amazing
-> I can't wait to try that dimunitive KM CAT on a full-frame though... Now we're talking incognito :-):-):lol:
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:51 AM   #26

but the greatest benefit is the lens appear much smaller without it

thats till they see that LENS in front. I think i am going to make an album with all the expression i get from this lens...that sounds like an exciting plan for the weekend.

However the bokeh on that EF-500 is just plain amazing

I would go one step ahead and say totallly Worth that money we pay. Its a premium price but the results speak volumes. In fact the more i use it i am scared it may end up being my walk around lens on treks. I stopped carrying a lot of lens after the 500

Simply the best lens i have owned. and i would give credit to 300mm f2.8IS to. If one does occassional birding, i feel the 300 is the best ever lens they can get. Unmatched in performance, speed and quality. There are pictures that just pop out of the screen from these two lens's

I have never tried a 400mm or the 600mm. So i cant comment on them.

I can't wait to try that dimunitive KM CAT on a full-frame though... Now we're talking incognito

Do post ur result. The only concern with that compromise is the bokeh. Its some what jagged...but works really well

and u talked about bokeh and i coudnt stop from posting this one..

Old Feb 8, 2008, 8:35 AM   #27
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Do post ur result. The only concern with that compromise is the bokeh. Its some what jagged...but works really well
I realize that, and that's why I'm going for a "different" look in the background:
-> I already have to many buttery Bokeh... May be I should try some variations with donuts on my next trip! :lol::-):G
(Nikon has a reflex lens too but it's manual focus )
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:29 AM   #28

I already have to many buttery Bokeh... May be I should try some variations with donuts on my next trip

I doubt it.... coz we are all spoiled by the mighty 500. I sometimes hate to see the bokeh from my 70-200

85L alone makes it in my list after the 500

Thats how much i am spoiled with the 500.