Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 18, 2007, 4:57 PM   #1

By taking a consideration corpare to the lens prices between NIkons and Canons, so Nikons are preferable. I want to know, what others think about this issue
Thanks
cenap inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2007, 7:43 PM   #2
NHL

It depends on what you needs are no single brand are better than other, and that include Sony as well as Olympus, or Pentax... and I have both Canon and Nikon
What are you interested most in photography? :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:58 PM   #3

hahah...wa hat a topic...i liked the Konica Minolta 7D and played with it for few weeks before getting the 20D. Then had a chance to play with Nikon D70 before ended up getting the 30D. And soon had the 5D with a bunch of canon lens's and a couple of L. Little did i realise i was nothing but a hobbyist, "SINGLE" and didnt knoow how to invest that i got the mark II and some more L lens and a sigma 120-300. Then suddenly i have the mark III and the 500mm. And trust me that in a few months time i may be holding a new system

And all this while i have had my hands on 8 different camera bodies. Life is so easy when u know the resale market is absolutely brlliant in USA.

Now totally hooked into the 500mm L over anything. I have never seen any lens pulling me more towards canon. even have a plan to just keep the 500L, get a 30D, sell off all other cnaon stuff and get a sony , nikon or even a olympus.

Now if u ask me which one is better, i would say every thing is the same. Mind is a monkey...the older it gets its supposed to be stable...but i am young..so i still remain a monkey with respect to cameras
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:16 AM   #4
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Mind is a monkey...the older it gets its supposed to be stable...but i am young..so i still remain a monkey with respect to cameras
There's a catch here...
In the old day you can invest in a good camera and get better film as they come out (Kodak, Fuji, Agfa... Ilford) you know the drill

-> Nowday dSLR are like computers... the camera makes the film and they tend to follow Moore's law - In a few months you're guaranteed to have a faster, more featured camera (with improved 'digital' film naturally) and of course it'll cost less than before! :lol::-):G

cenap inc wrote:
Quote:
By taking a consideration corpare to the lens prices between NIkons and Canons...
What about 3rd party lenses - Would this even out the odds since lens cost is the same? :idea:
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:31 AM   #5

haha, absolutely true..just two and a half years back we were screaming about the 20D. it was selling for 1300 then. What a pity people are staying away from 20D at 400 dollors...

its gonna be even more fun untill the market standardize a bit. Releasing cameras once every two years or so. We as in users created so much demand to see a new camera every 18 months whichi am positively sure in canon terms have reduced to 12 months lately in the prosumer and beginer segment.

Just to compete with D200 canon worked on 30D, 40D and even a 5D. Now to challenge D300(dont even think abt D3..thats a different camera :-) canon will definitely release two or three models in the next 18months.

Mind beinga magnificent monkey always wants to go for the new gadget. I am hoping i someday get married and get Controlled over this freaking spending.

Thats why decided to collect lens's over bodies. I am going to change a body after atleast 100000 shots in my mark III. :blahif i break this promise u will know why i insist on mind being the monkey )

I just got a leica 35mm lens over the canon 35mm. I picked it from a local camera store for dirt cheap with the adapter. Gonna try some shots and see how it is...as i said i am avoiding camreas now
Old Dec 19, 2007, 1:02 AM   #6
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
its gonna be even more fun untill the market standardize a bit. Releasing cameras once every two years or so. We as in users created so much demand to see a new camera every 18 months whichi am positively sure in canon terms have reduced to 12 months lately in the prosumer and beginer segment.
IMO It's not just the camera... New image sensors like ICs require new fabs - You can't make a Duo/quad-core in an old Pentium or 8086 factory for example

Sony have a head start here and just lately did Canon announced they are investing in new fabs (but not spending as much) - Go alone might cost them if they don't hold the lead
-> Sony provides sensors to everyone including the smaller P/S from Canon where the market are enormous and potentially have an advantage in cost by volume alone

BTW that E3's 11 point bi-axial AF looks awfully similar to what's go into the A700, and it's behaviour is quite similar too...
Old Dec 19, 2007, 7:31 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
By taking a consideration corpare to the lens prices between NIkons and Canons, so Nikons are preferable. I want to know, what others think about this issue Thanks
Eh? I would draw exactly the opposite conclusion.

The good Canon lenses are cheaper than Nikons by quite a lot.

Anecdotally (so not worth much) it seems to me that the quality control of the Nikon lenses, and possibly the quality in general is slightly higher with the Nikons though. So you get what you pay for.

However the quality of the L Canon lenses is generally good enough for most purposes and because they are significantly cheaper that's why a lot of people choose Canon.

A reason a lot of people chose Canon is that they had the best digital bodies for a long time. In the last couple of years the other manufacturers have caught up and even surpassed them at the entry level and mid level, and now are showing signs of catching or surpassing at the high end too.

The other point is that Canon have had a bigger range of lenses and no supply problems. Consider their range of L primes and even some of their L zooms. Canon have had lenses like the 24L, 35L, 50L, 85L, 135L with no direct competition from Nikon, also the 24-70f2.8, etc, etc. Nikon now have competition for most of those lenses but it's taken them a while, and even though they may be manufacturing those lenses it can often be very hard to find them.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:15 AM   #8

The other point is that Canon have had a bigger range of lenses and no supply problems. Consider their range of L primes and even some of their L zooms. Canon have had lenses like the 24L, 35L, 50L, 85L, 135L with no direct competition from Nikon, also the 24-70f2.8, etc, etc. Nikon now have competition for most of those lenses but it's taken them a while, and even though they may be manufacturing those lenses it can often be very hard to find them.

But in reality how many of us have the resourse to start with that many number of L's. Only when u want to upgrade u kind of hit a roadblock where the AVAILABILITY factor plays a big part with respect to these Lens's

With two terrific cameras announced its about time Nikon re-priced their high grade lens's and make them available as readilyy as canon lens's.

It does take sometime more to get hold of really good Nikon lens' like the 70-200 VR lens or the high end lens.

Even at entry level, canon has made a great change..the 18-55 and 55-250 IS lens for around 180+400 dollors seems a superb start up set up.

There are alternatives in Nikon, but selling a package with a similar lens combo can sweep market...

Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:44 AM   #9
Administrator

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
The other point is that Canon have had a bigger range of lenses and no supply problems. Consider their range of L primes and even some of their L zooms. Canon have had lenses like the 24L, 35L, 50L, 85L, 135L with no direct competition from Nikon...
Come on now. The larger camera manufacturers have always had pretty good primes in those focal lengths, even before Autofocus lenses.

Even on sites that haven't been updated in a while, you can find wider aperture Autofocus and Manual focus primes in those focal lengths listed. For example, look at the Nikkor section here:

http://old.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html

The Nikkor page hasn't been updated in over 7 years (June 2000), and it shows AF Nikkor lenses like the 24mm f/1.4D (in list with no MTF chart), 24mm f/2.8D, 35mm f/2D, 50mm f/1.4D, 85mm f/1.4D, DC 105mm f/2D, DC 135mm f/2D and more.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:46 AM   #10
NHL

Doesn't Nikon lenses come with 5 years warranty (instead of 1)?
-> That's the insurance premium I guess...

BTW If you want the Nikkors in Canon's grey, they are even more expensive and rarer to get! :-)
... but then how many other camera can take on Zeiss lenses?