Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
dr_spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 879
Default

There are ways to do remote flash with the Canon or any camera cheaply.

You can try Strobist for some ideas: http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Or DIYPhotography: http://www.diyphotography.net/



Lately I've been experimenting with cheapy optical slave. I don't get ETTL-II with it. Manual mode on the camera and flash isn't that hard to learn.


dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:45 AM   #12
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

dr_spock wrote:
Quote:
There are ways to do remote flash with the Canon or any camera cheaply:
Quote:
nymphetamine is already proficient at "manual": http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=65&page=2

-> The point is when you no longer hold the lead in high-ISO IQ you can't afford to be arrogant about it anymore...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:50 AM   #13
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

dr_spock wrote:
Quote:
Lately I've been experimenting with cheapy optical slave. I don't get ETTL-II with it. Manual mode on the camera and flash isn't that hard to learn.
-> Which is another reasonwhy getting the Sigma ismore sensiblesince the "optical slave" is already built-in to the the EF-500DG Super- Correct?


NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:46 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9
Default

FWIW, I use a pair of OLD Sunpack pro 120 J's, wired to the cam and slaved for those few times when I need studio flash. Of course, it's manual. Sheesh! I also built my reflectors, and my macro set-up. Those who cannot or will not innovate are doomed to mediocrity, and high prices!
The incredibly simple solution is to get a pair of vintage strobes. (Metz 45's are great) Cable one to the cam via hotshoe adapter. Slave the other, via hotshoe adapter. Stop whining, and use your brain. You can't blame the equipment for your failure to make photographs!
sparrowminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:04 AM   #15
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

sparrowminded wrote:
Quote:
FWIW, I use a pair of OLD Sunpack pro 120 J's, wired to the cam and slaved for those few times when I need studio flash. Of course, it's manual. Sheesh! I also built my reflectors, and my macro set-up. Those who cannot or will not innovate are doomed to mediocrity, and high prices!
The incredibly simple solution is to get a pair of vintage strobes. (Metz 45's are great) Cable one to the cam via hotshoe adapter. Slave the other, via hotshoe adapter. Stop whining, and use your brain. You can't blame the equipment for your failure to make photographs!
I believe you miss the point...

-> It's not about manual flash nor manual slaves since nymphetamine and I are already proficient at this - just refer to the previous link... for illustration. It's about why Canon doesn't put a Master(Commander) mode in their built-in flash for E-TTL like others!

BTW if you're already in manual for studio setup you might not actually need to cable anything to a hotshoe adapter - Just mask the initial pre-flash from the built-in flash with your hand when pressing the *-button (or FEL). The 2nd strobe that goes with the regular shot will trigger any optical slaves...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:03 AM.